Fields coming from others databases.

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Fields coming from others databases.

Postby msoldera » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:08 pm

I would build a database using the calculated fields "Total Hours" and "Total Paid" coming from other databases. I tried using the fields "relationship" and "link-linked", but I can not get it to work. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
msoldera

Re: Fields coming from others databases.

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 am

msoldera wrote:I would build a database using the calculated fields "Total Hours" and "Total Paid" coming from other databases. I tried using the fields "relationship" and "link-linked", but I can not get it to work. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

I think the most likely typical candidate for this is the relationship field type. I'd suggest reading through a tutorial for setting up Relationships. One example is this:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=195

It's screenshots show the Palm version, but the field parameters and principles are the same for the iPhone. I actually plan on updating this very tutorial this week for iPhone. I'll post an update here with a link to it when done.

Let me know if you have specific questions after going through the tutorial. I can help further or even take a look at your databases and make some changes or suggestions to you.
dhaupert

Postby msoldera » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks Dave.
In reality, the field that I would like to see at the new database is a "calculated" field (it's the sum of the previous fields in the same database), I do not have necessity of editing...
I would like to use the result of this "calculated" field (and other fields "calculated" by others databases) to make new recordings in the new database..
msoldera

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 pm

msoldera wrote:Thanks Dave.
In reality, the field that I would like to see at the new database is a "calculated" field (it's the sum of the previous fields in the same database), I do not have necessity of editing...
I would like to use the result of this "calculated" field (and other fields "calculated" by others databases) to make new recordings in the new database..

Still not sure I understand what you are asking for, but doing a running total in a database is definitely possible. See this forum thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110

To then access this from another table, you can use a relationship (see previously mentioned tutorial) and have it take the last record match from this table.
dhaupert

Postby msoldera » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm

I try to explain better (sorry for my english):
I first created a database "hours" where I post daily working hours of my employee, with a calculated field showing the "Total hours worked".
Then I created a second database "Money" where I post the advances already paid to my employee.
Now I want to create a third database "Report" showing the "Total hours worked" from database "Hours" and the advances from database "Money" and then calculate the balance to be paid to the employee. To do this I need that in this new database "Report" appear the "calculated" of the others databases...
But perhaps there is a simpler solution?

P.s.: sorry again for my elementary english :-)
msoldera

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:17 pm

msoldera wrote:I try to explain better (sorry for my english):
I first created a database "hours" where I post daily working hours of my employee, with a calculated field showing the "Total hours worked".
Then I created a second database "Money" where I post the advances already paid to my employee.
Now I want to create a third database "Report" showing the "Total hours worked" from database "Hours" and the advances from database "Money" and then calculate the balance to be paid to the employee. To do this I need that in this new database "Report" appear the "calculated" of the others databases...
But perhaps there is a simpler solution?

P.s.: sorry again for my elementary english :-)

No problem! I think I understand what you are looking for. Indeed, you will need to use the relationship field to do this. A relationship field can pull a data field from another database table. You select the field that will be pulled along with two key fields- in this case, probably an employee name or employee number. You would have to have some field in each database that you enter this, and you can set it to default to something so that if you only have one employee, you can always have the proper value filled out. Then relating those two fields together you can pull the total hours worked from the last matching field and get the 'grand total' for that database. repeat for the other database table and you should have both values in your Report table to do with as you please.
dhaupert

Postby msoldera » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Ok, I'm going to try... Thanks to the speed of responses :D
msoldera

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch