Handbase Desktop not recognizing apps made on iPhone

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Handbase Desktop not recognizing apps made on iPhone

Postby cad » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:33 pm

HI,

This is my first post and i want to thank you for a great product. I have finally gotten around to writing my BIG APP and I am running into some problems. I created an application in Windows using the desktop application v4.1 Bld R4. I then transferred it to my iPhone. On the iPhone it worked well without problems, but then I made changes to the database on the iPhone. I then erased the original (placed it in a different folder for backup purposes) program from the computer and downloaded the app from the iPhone. When I tried to open it in the Desktop, I get the following error:

ERROR: File selected is not a Handbase 3.0 Database!

I am using the latest iPhone program v 4.2.1 for iPhone 3.0.

Not certain if this is the place to place this or if I should have sent just regular email, but I'm sure you'll let me know and I think that others having the same issue might benefit.
On another topic, When are we getting Forms?

Thanks, Great Product.
cad

Re: Handbase Desktop not recognizing apps made on iPhone

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 am

cad wrote:HI,

This is my first post and i want to thank you for a great product. I have finally gotten around to writing my BIG APP and I am running into some problems. I created an application in Windows using the desktop application v4.1 Bld R4. I then transferred it to my iPhone. On the iPhone it worked well without problems, but then I made changes to the database on the iPhone. I then erased the original (placed it in a different folder for backup purposes) program from the computer and downloaded the app from the iPhone. When I tried to open it in the Desktop, I get the following error:

ERROR: File selected is not a Handbase 3.0 Database!

I am using the latest iPhone program v 4.2.1 for iPhone 3.0.

Not certain if this is the place to place this or if I should have sent just regular email, but I'm sure you'll let me know and I think that others having the same issue might benefit.
On another topic, When are we getting Forms?

Thanks, Great Product.

First, wanted to thank you for posting and the encouraging words. Secondly, wanted to let you know I moved your topic to the iPhone category as it's not likely a desktop issue, but an iPhone Desktop Connect related issue.

What sounds like may be happening is that perhaps when you are clicking a database in the browser, you're getting the browser on the desktop interfering. This happened a lot with older browsers, when you clicked on a PDB file, they would sometimes treat these as a text file and actually show the garbage looking data on the screen. Saving that garbage to a file usually did not give you a 1:1 copy. If you click on the Download PDB option next to your database, and you don't get an automatic file save dialog box (or on some browsers, it automatically downloads to a folder), then that is most definitely the issue.

I'd suggest trying the right click and choose 'save target as' option and see if that downloads the file properly. Lastly, can you also try perhaps the demo or full version of the HanDBase Plus for iPhone? That uses Desktop Connect also, but instead of using a browser, it uses our own application to grab the file. Hopefully that will give you a good file to use with the desktop.

Let me know how you make out!
dhaupert

Re: Handbase Desktop not recognizing apps made on iPhone

Postby cad » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 am

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I went back to the web download again and used "Save As" and this worked. You were right, somehow the download is corrupted when just clicking on it. This may make me want to go to purchasing the platform specific desktop version, but I am using this on a Mac and a PC at work, so I would have to buy it twice. Right now this solution appears to be working as long as I do backups. Thanks.

c.
cad

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch