Need help with a many-to-many relationship

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Need help with a many-to-many relationship

Postby caketus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:05 am

Hi!

I try to create management environment for my sport club. We need to track members, events and attendances to those events.

I have created one database for members, another one for events, and a third one for attendances. I suppose this third database is needed to be able to realize this many-to-many relationship. If not, let me know.

But with this setup, there is a problem. To be able to track attendance for one event, I need to create one record for each member for each event. This is a too long process :-/ What I want to be able to do is to select an event, and easy select members that are in attendance to this event. But I don't know if it's possible with HanDBase for iPhone, and if it is how to do that.

Could you help me? Thanks!
Last edited by caketus on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caketus

Re: Need help with a many-to-many relationship

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:50 am

Whenever there is a need to do attendance, the traditional table based databases like HanDBase usually run into a little big of a snag. There are several ways to go about what you're wanting to do, but each have their pro's and con's. For example:

- Your Attendance database could hard code the members as fields and use checkboxes to check whether they are there or not. Quite easy to fill out a record, but limits the number of members to less than the max number of fields we support (100)

- You could create a new record for each attendee as you mentioned, but that's tedious.

- You could use a DB popup field set to 'append popups' and then select one by one the attendees for an event. This means you'll have a big list like:
John Smith,Joe Blow,...

May or may not be practical, and also limited in that a DB Popup field can have only up to 255 characters in it.

- On the platforms where we have custom forms (not the iPhone as of yet, but coming), we've developed what is probably the most efficient of these inefficient methods- you can jump from one form of a database to another form of a different database auto creating a record, and the process is fairly straightforward. But as I mentioned this is not yet a possibility on the iPhone version of HanDBase. Hopefully in a few months this will change!

Those are the solutions I can think of based on our current options at hand. I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?
dhaupert

Postby caketus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Your last solution seems to be very interesting but I think that software your are talking about is only available on Windows environment, and I'm on a Mac. Maybe have you planned to release this on Mac OS? Do you have some details about that?

In fact, registering attendances for members can be done on a desktop/laptop. The part of data that need to be absolutely manageable on iPhone are members details.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
caketus

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:22 am

caketus wrote:Your last solution seems to be very interesting but I think that software your are talking about is only available on Windows environment, and I'm on a Mac. Maybe have you planned to release this on Mac OS? Do you have some details about that?

In fact, registering attendances for members can be done on a desktop/laptop. The part of data that need to be absolutely manageable on iPhone are members details.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Hi,

Good point regarding the Mac. I said it only in passing as I wanted to mention that forms is planned for the iPhone. It's also planned for the Mac platform as well, but further down the road and likely a 1st half of 2010 type estimate at this point. In the short term, there is always the option of using the Windows version under Crossover (an app that lets you run our HanDBase windows program on Macs without needing to use a virtualized copy of Windows (eg, Parallels and VMWare Fusion). But I am sure you'd prefer a native option, as would I. We're working on it!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch