How to use maps/location field

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

How to use maps/location field

Postby daleeper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:27 am

Hello, new to the forum, and new to handbase.

I am not finding any documentation/tutorials on using the maps/location external link, and I need some help, if anyone has anything to offer.

I am working on a database to record some tree data, and want to use the maps/location field to record the location of a tree on a property, at the time that I am making the record, standing right at the tree that I want to mark. I want to be able to locate that particular tree with gps in the future. Either handbase does not allow this to be done, or I am not smart enough to figure out how to do it.

I have a field set up called location, using an external link, then use the maps/location selection, but how do I get it to record the location that I am standing at, at the time of making the record. I believe it asks for location data somewhere within the database field. How can I get the current location to be marked on the map at the time of entering data, and of course have the location (lat/long) recorded in the database?
daleeper

Re: How to use maps/location field

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 am

Hello,

You will want to add a text field called "location data" to your database. Then go to your external field and set it to use the "location data" field in conjunction with the mapping option. Then, when editing a record tap on the external field option. You'll be prompted for permission and then you will see a map screen appear. Select the button at the top and the data will be recorded in the text field.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby daleeper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks, that was what I needed.
daleeper

Postby ArGiEs » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey there,

I just tried to find the maps/location field option in HanDBase in my handheld, and it wasn't there; the only option, in fact, is the photo picker. Is that because it's an iPod touch?

I'm considering switching to an iPhone this fall when the next version comes out, and features like the number dialer and the maps/location could weigh heavily in deciding which way to go.
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for writing. What version of HanDBase are you using on your iPod Touch? I ask because the option definitely shows on an iPod Touch - it does on mine as I don't use an iPhone, but if you are using an older version of HanDBase it might be before the option was implemented.

When you select the external field type and choose to configure it, you should see a popup that lists several different things you can do with the field - photo picker, open a URL, take a picture using the camera, etc. The mapping option should be present if you are using one of the later versions.

If you check the version and it is less than version 4.7.5 please update via the iTunes App Store.

Let me know if you still don't find it after making sure you are on the latest version!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby ArGiEs » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Brian,

Whoops, just did things the right way this time & found 'em. Sorry!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:25 pm

No problem. Glad that you found the option!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby daleeper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 pm

OK, now that I have the coordinates recorded in the database, is there a way to bring up the map, and have it direct me back to that location within the database?

I have been able to copy and paste the location coordinates into google maps, but hoped there might be an easier way?
daleeper

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 am

When you select the external button, you should see the coordinates mapped. Navigation to the location isn't supported, though.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby daleeper » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks, that is what I was wondering, and figured it wasn't going to happen.
daleeper

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch