How to use maps/location field

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: How to use maps/location field

Postby cabby205 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 am

You will want to add a text field called "location data" to your database. Then go to your external field and set it to use the "location data" field in conjunction with the mapping option. Then, when editing a record tap on the external field option. You'll be prompted for permission and then you will see a map screen appear. Select the button at the top and the data will be recorded in the text field.Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software

Hdb 4.8.5

1. I'm not prompted for permission.
2. map screen appears - blue screen, no map, with 'back button', 'Map View' title bar, stick pin in centre of screen
with 'Current Point' .00, .00
What am I going wrong?
cabby205

Postby dhaupert » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 am

Hi there,

Is it possible you don't have a device with GPS capabilities? For example, the iPod touch or an iPad without a 3G modem/data plan? If so, that would explain it!
dhaupert

Postby cabby205 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 am

As far as I know, I have the following:
iphone 3GS (MC131C)
iOS ver 5.1
Hdb 4.8.5

Using the default map app on the iphone, I can determine where I'm located on a map.
cabby205

Postby dhaupert » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:51 am

Hi again,

Thanks for clarifying. Indeed you do indeed have a GPS enabled device. Assuming you have the fields set up as Brian explained the next thing to check is in the Settings app. Go to the location services section and make sure the master switch is on. Then scroll down to HanDBase and make sure it's on there as well. If both places are on, then the problem would have to be in the setup of your database. You can email a copy of it to support for us to take a look. I'm guessing perhaps you have it set to manually update only and have not pressed the radar button actually find your location. Brian's example had the behavior to auto update on record creation but there is an option in the external field to only update manually. And you would not see a value in the map until you press the locate(radar) button.
dhaupert

Postby cabby205 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Location services section - the master switch is on
scroll down to HanDBase and make sure it's on there as well - it's there but all it shows is style, font & themes.
inside Location services section, it's not listed there.
cabby205

Postby Mountainiron » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:When you select the external button, you should see the coordinates mapped. Navigation to the location isn't supported, though.

Is there a way to make those coordinates a hyperlink? since a copy and paste into chrome takes you there just need it to be hyperlinked?
Mountainiron

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi,

You could do it using the Combine text external field type and another to go to the web site. Here's a brief overview of how it can be done:

Create a text field named prefix which is hidden from view. make the default value be: http://maps.google.com/?q=

Now add an additional field called weblink. This is going to be a text field to hold the combined value of prefix + the GPS coordinates

Now add an external field called Google Maps Link. This field type will be set to Combine Text and will be set to combine the prefix field and append the gps coordinates field. Make sure all of the options for separators are set to nothing as we don't need anything else. Select to save the result to weblink. Your field weblink should now contain what is needed to see it in Google Maps.

Now finally add another external field called 'See on Google Maps'. Set the Display Web Page option and choose the Google Maps Link field as the source for it. If you then place this button on your form (or click it in the Edit Record screen) you should be launched into Google Maps with the location!

Hope this helps.
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch