barcode scanner

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

barcode scanner

Postby sscartozzi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 pm

love the app. I was wondering if there was any idea of adding the ability to add barcode scanning and implementing to the pic import field, so we can use the scan to search the database.
sscartozzi

Re: barcode scanner

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:19 am

sscartozzi wrote:love the app. I was wondering if there was any idea of adding the ability to add barcode scanning and implementing to the pic import field, so we can use the scan to search the database.

Indeed I have been considering this option as well as integration with Bluetooth barcode readers. The camera option has not proven very good prior to the 3GS device, because of the lack of a macro focus mode. The barcode libraries for parsing an image require a sharp image and the readers tend to miss with too high a rate to be reliable. When the 3GS came out, it added macro focusing which means that instantly this becomes a possible option for us to consider.

On the Bluetooth side, we're waiting for SDKs from Symbol, Socket, etc to support Barcodes in our iPhone app, and we'll begin adding support for it at that time.

I know barcodes are very important to many vertical markets that are popular with our application, so believe me when I say we're watching this closely!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch