Emailing Databases

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Emailing Databases

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:05 am

I am in a 6 man physician group and we all use Handbase with Windows Mobile. Our system depends on emailing small databases to eachother to get absorbed into larger databases on our devices (see the link to my entry in the handbase gallery if you are intestested). My question is: Can you email .pdb files as an email attachment with an iPhone? Is it an out of the box solution or do you have to jailbreak? Can that .pdf file be understood be both a Windows Mobile device and an iPhone?
Thanks,
Dan Levy MD
dlevymd@optonline.net

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html ... llery.html
Dlevymd1

Re: Emailing Databases

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:38 am

Dlevymd1 wrote:I am in a 6 man physician group and we all use Handbase with Windows Mobile. Our system depends on emailing small databases to eachother to get absorbed into larger databases on our devices (see the link to my entry in the handbase gallery if you are intestested). My question is: Can you email .pdb files as an email attachment with an iPhone? Is it an out of the box solution or do you have to jailbreak? Can that .pdf file be understood be both a Windows Mobile device and an iPhone?
Thanks,
Dan Levy MD
dlevymd@optonline.net

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html ... llery.html

Hi Dan,

The iPhone platform is a bit different than Windows Mobile. Each application is 'sand boxed', which means basically that unless there are official ways to intercommunicate as done by Apple, the data from one application (eg, Email) cannot be accessed by another application (eg, HanDBase). This is a security measure- one application also cannot hose the data in another, or a virus effect the data in the applications installed (in theory). It also is a major limiting factor of the flexibility of the iPhone.

When the iPhone 3.0 OS came out in June, they finally added support for emailing attachments to an application. This means that we can now develop (have not done so yet) a 'Email Database' function in our application. If we don't implement this, there is no way for the email program to be able to send attachments that are stored in our sand box. But assuming I do add this feature (and I do plan to), there is still no way for the email program to send/save this database to the HanDBase sandbox so that you can merge the changes in, or add the attached database to your list of databases in HanDBase. So this capability may be a huge chasm for you, over all other users.

There is one possibility- if you are all on the same wifi network (eg, all working in one hospital and sharing the wifi network), you can use the Desktop Connect Feature (a unique feature in our iPhone version of HanDBase that uses the wifi connection to connect a Computer or other iPhone/iPod touch with HanDBase running on this device) to connect from one iPhone to another. This means you can transfer databases back and forth that way.

Hope this answers your question!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch