Fields do not stay re-ordered on itouch

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Fields do not stay re-ordered on itouch

Postby lima » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:13 pm

I just purchased HanDBase in the iTunes store yesterday, and I've noticed that I can't reorder the fields in a database (which I guess is what we SQLers would call a "table"). I have a table with a default view set with no filters and no field restrictions, as well as a secondary view with a couple of filters and restrictions. If I change the order of the fields in one view and switch to the other, the fields have reset themselves to the initial order in the view I'm switching to; if I change the order there and go back to the first view, the same thing happens in reverse. So two questions: first, why is there a separate editor for field orders instead of the ordering system being integrated in the regular field editing system, and second, why do the fields not stay ordered as I put them?
lima

Re: Fields do not stay re-ordered on itouch

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 pm

lima wrote:I just purchased HanDBase in the iTunes store yesterday, and I've noticed that I can't reorder the fields in a database (which I guess is what we SQLers would call a "table"). I have a table with a default view set with no filters and no field restrictions, as well as a secondary view with a couple of filters and restrictions. If I change the order of the fields in one view and switch to the other, the fields have reset themselves to the initial order in the view I'm switching to; if I change the order there and go back to the first view, the same thing happens in reverse. So two questions: first, why is there a separate editor for field orders instead of the ordering system being integrated in the regular field editing system, and second, why do the fields not stay ordered as I put them?

Hi lima,

Thanks for your quesitons. Yes, in the majority of database managers, a table is the word used for what we call a database. I tend to jump back and forth between these two terms unknowingly, but the choice of using database was made for HanDBase strategically. Most database managers allow all tables within a database to have some sort of relationship with each other. Thus a database is a collection of relatable tables. In HanDBase, every 'table' in that sense can be related to another. In addition, you can open any particular table directly as well, not having to open the database and then access it's table. Thus the paradigm shifts a bit as you can see!

In answer to your question, there is a separate field order setting in the DB Properties really only there for the case when you don't choose views. Once views are defined, the order it controlled in the Field Settings section of the view. You can drag and reorder the field order from within each view and this overrides the Field order setting you see in the database properties. If you're seeing something different than this, please let me know and perhaps send me an example if possible.

In the case of filters and sorting, I have made it so that if you change either while selecting a view, there is a setting in the View that says 'When Filters and Sorting change', which lets you use the main list view's filters and sorting to update the selected view automatically. I plan on extending that to the Field order screen so that once a view is created, if you go to the DB properties screen and change the field order, it applies the change to the current selected view. Hopefully that will be a welcome change!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch