Barcode scanner used for stocktake

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Barcode scanner used for stocktake

Postby pegi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am

I have a question. I can't find the answer anywhere in the forum.
Is it possible to use bar-code scanner for stocktake count?
I have QR codes printed for each item in our stock. Can I use built-in bar-code scanner to scan the QR code and automatically decrease the quantity of that item? Every time when I scan the QR code I want the value decrease by 1.

And if this is possible can I store the actual quantity in other database?
I would really appreciate any comments on this issue.

(Excuse my English)

Thanks
pegi

Re: Barcode scanner used for stocktake

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post. HanDBase does support reading of bar codes via the built in camera on newer iPhones. There is an external field type setting for this!

That said, I'm not sure it supports QR codes or just regular bar codes. You'd have to try with yours to see if it worked.

It also only functions in a limited sort of way:

1. to insert the scanned value in a given text field.
2. in the quick search feature you can tap and hold the search box and a 'Scan' option will show. You can then scan the code and it will search your inventory table for the barcode value in the designated field.

Using the above you can use it to #1 create an inventory database by scanning the barcodes, filling in additional info about the items and entering a quantity. Then with #2 when you receive or remove an item to/from stock, you can scan via the quick search to find the product, increment or decrement the quantity yourself manually. There is no auto-increment or decrement feature at this time unfortunately .

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby Marty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm doing stock level updates as you describe using EAN-8 and UPC-A bar codes where i scan transaction records to one DB (one record per scan representing quantity of one). My implementation is a little different but if your inventory records use HandDBase' "running total" technique as one of the fields in your stock scan transaction record, you can then link via "relationship" from a separate item master DB on the barcode value and find the running total of the "last match" record of the transaction DB. If that running total isn't the actual final balance you need then you can use calculated fields in your master item DB that subtracts the running total from a starting balance field.
Marty

Postby Marty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:50 pm

The QR (2D) barcode is supported. See my post to topic: "Bar codes supported in external field type" back around June/July timeframe
Marty

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:36 am

I've had really good luck scanning QR codes. They are actually much easier for the scanner interface to recognize when compared to traditional barcodes ;)
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby pegi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
Yes, I can scan QR codes with no problem, I just didn't know how I can use them to do the stoc-take count.

Thanks dhaupert, I'll give it a go...
pegi

Postby Marty » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 am

If you get stumped trying to implemement what has been described, I'd be glad to email you 2 simple HanDBase files that demonstrate how to do this.
Marty

Postby pegi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:20 am

Marty wrote:If you get stumped trying to implemement what has been described, I'd be glad to email you 2 simple HanDBase files that demonstrate how to do this.

Thanks. That would be great Marty. It will give me an idea how to do it.
pegi

Postby Marty » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:38 pm

I posted the sample to the HanDBase app gallery. From your iPhone's HanDBase main menu, click the "+NewDB" option in lower left corner, then "Download a New Template" which should connect you to HanDBase gallery, Categories menu. Select "Business Tools" category, and you should see "Barcode_Inventory" within the 1st 3 or so entries. Select that, browse the narrative, the select each of the 2 files (actually, there seems to be a problem when I try the files download/install, so I just sent you emails with the 2 files--you can still read the narrative at the gallery). I'll try to get the gallery issue resolved.
Marty

Postby pegi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Marty wrote:I posted the sample to the HanDBase app gallery. From your iPhone's HanDBase main menu, click the "+NewDB" option in lower left corner, then "Download a New Template" which should connect you to HanDBase gallery, Categories menu. Select "Business Tools" category, and you should see "Barcode_Inventory" within the 1st 3 or so entries. Select that, browse the narrative, the select each of the 2 files (actually, there seems to be a problem when I try the files download/install, so I just sent you emails with the 2 files--you can still read the narrative at the gallery). I'll try to get the gallery issue resolved.

Hi Marty,
I've got your email with the PDB file attached but it was only one file. I think the B-ItemConsumption is missing.
I think I figured it out how it works but if you want to send me the other DB as well it would be great.

It's a pity that by scanning the bar-code it won't automatically decrease/increase a value.

Thanks a lot
pegi

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch