Barcode scanner used for stocktake

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Barcode scanner used for stocktake

Postby Marty » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 am

Sorry about that, Pegi. I sent the 2nd file again via email and I believe you'll see how inventory balance is automatically maintained merely by creation of "consumption" transaction records. The barcode scanning doesn't "cause" the adjustment per se: it just makes data entry more reliable and faster. You can accomplish exactly the same adjustment to inventory balance by typing in the consumption record. The keys to automatic updating are the master file/transaction file combo, running totals, and link/relationship on the item number value used in both files (which happens to be a barcode).
Hope that helps.
Marty

Postby pegi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:26 am

Marty wrote:Sorry about that, Pegi. I sent the 2nd file again via email and I believe you'll see how inventory balance is automatically maintained merely by creation of "consumption" transaction records. The barcode scanning doesn't "cause" the adjustment per se: it just makes data entry more reliable and faster. You can accomplish exactly the same adjustment to inventory balance by typing in the consumption record. The keys to automatic updating are the master file/transaction file combo, running totals, and link/relationship on the item number value used in both files (which happens to be a barcode).
Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Marty,
I will play with it. Sounds interesting.
I will let you know whether it works for me.
pegi

Postby arronlee » Mon May 13, 2013 4:58 am

I think you'd better re-explore a QR code SDK which allows to do so.
Then you can use them to do the stoc-take count.
What's more, you should go to some related forums to have a look.
Check the similar problem and find out your way instead of waitingfor help.
I'm studying about this recently.
I hope we can have some communication later.
And may you success.
Best Regards,
Arron

I'm new at DDHSoftware
Wanna know more about Barcodes SDKs and components dealing with images,documents.
arronlee

Postby rtiano12 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:03 am

pegi wrote:I have a question. I can't find the answer anywhere in the forum.
Is it possible to use bar-code scanner for stocktake count?
I have QR codes printed for each item in our stock. Can I use built-in bar-code scanner to scan the QR code and automatically decrease the quantity of that item? Every time when I scan the QR code I want the value decrease by 1.

And if this is possible can I store the actual quantity in other database?
I would really appreciate any comments on this issue.

(Excuse my English)

Thanks

NO man you can't. Me neither can do that. I also tried a lot doing so but all in vain. One of my friend told me to add another software but it was not available in installous. If you figured out some another software please tell me.
rtiano12

Postby Marty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Since lots of people are apparently reading this, this question shouldn't be left open with the final reply being a negative reply from someone who tried but couldnt get it to work. It works!

As I indicated earlier, automatic stock quantity reduction from a scanned UPC code does work. I have it implemented and in production. Again, it isn't the scanning operation that reduces inventory, it is the mere creation of a consumption transaction record with matching barcode that enables the accumulation of consumed parts that is calculated by the formula field to reduce the inventory. Your DB needs to be built such that the barcode/QR code scan creates one new consumption record in one file every time a scan occurs. Then the [separate] item master file record links to all the matching consumption records, adds them up, then calculates a new On-Hand balance. It doesn't work by physically changing a static quantity as you may be imagining; it works via formulas in your running total balance that shows the adjusted quantity. I haven't used a QR type barcode -- mine is UPC, but as long as the QR code value scans in a part# that matches your item master part number, that is all that matters...
Marty

Postby cindy313 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:38 am

Marty wrote:Since lots of people are apparently reading this, this question shouldn't be left open with the final reply being a negative reply from someone who tried but couldnt get it to work. It works!

As I indicated earlier, automatic stock quantity reduction from a scanned UPC code does work. I have it implemented and in production. Again, it isn't the scanning operation that reduces inventory, it is the mere creation of a consumption transaction record with matching barcode that enables the accumulation of consumed parts that is calculated by the formula field to reduce the inventory. Your DB needs to be built such that the barcode/QR code scan creates one new consumption record in one file every time a scan occurs. Then the [separate] item master file record links to all the matching consumption records, adds them up, then calculates a new On-Hand balance. It doesn't work by physically changing a static quantity as you may be imagining; it works via formulas in your running total balance that shows the adjusted quantity. I haven't used a QR type barcode -- mine is UPC, but as long as the QR code value scans in a part# that matches your item master part number, that is all that matters...

so does qr code have the same effect as upc you used?
cindy313

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch