Filters

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Filters

Postby harviec » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:28 am

Hi Dave,

I have been experimenting with filters and have found some strange results when grouping them. For instance, I tried the following structures:
Entering "a and (b or c)" gives incorrect results, more like you would expect from "(a and b) or c" or " a and b or c".
Entering "(a and b) or (c and d)" gives results of just the "(c and d)" part.
Other structures like "(a or b) and c" works fine, but it's the same results you would expect from "a or b and c".
So perhaps it's the use of parentheses that's not working?

Also, do you have plans to increase the number of filters available to more than 6? I use HanDBase to hold plant characteristics for identifying wildflowers, so the use of filters to zero in on the appropriate records is a major aspect of my application.

Carolyn
harviec

Re: Filters

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm

harviec wrote:Hi Dave,

I have been experimenting with filters and have found some strange results when grouping them. For instance, I tried the following structures:
Entering "a and (b or c)" gives incorrect results, more like you would expect from "(a and b) or c" or " a and b or c".
Entering "(a and b) or (c and d)" gives results of just the "(c and d)" part.
Other structures like "(a or b) and c" works fine, but it's the same results you would expect from "a or b and c".
So perhaps it's the use of parentheses that's not working?

Also, do you have plans to increase the number of filters available to more than 6? I use HanDBase to hold plant characteristics for identifying wildflowers, so the use of filters to zero in on the appropriate records is a major aspect of my application.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Your post's timing is amazing! I just this morning discovered and fixed a bug related to parenthesis on the iPhone (and Mac) versions. A user sent us a database with an example of a set of filters that failed, and this bug has actually been present since the iPhone version's launch. I have fixed this bug and it will be part of 4.3.0 being submitted this week to the App Store.

In regards to increasing the number of filters, that number is based on the amount of space built into the structure. Thus we'd have to change our standard database structure to support more filters. This is not something we're planning to do at this time, we typically save those sorts of upgrades for every few years when we do a major update (eg, Version 3, Version 4, etc). And even then we only change things that are requested from a high number of users. So far, I haven't heard from many who want more.

If it helps- I'd suggest using the quick search option to help you filter beyond the 6 filter expressions. It's like having a 7th filter in some ways!

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch