HanDBase 4.3.0 submitted to the app store

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

HanDBase 4.3.0 submitted to the app store

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:42 am

Hi all,

Good news- late yesterday I submitted version 4.3.0 to the App Store for approval! This version adds the following much-requested feature:

Ability to copy or move record(s) to other databases with the same structure.

Those of you who have used HanDBase on other platforms are likely familiar with that feature- it's great for archiving old records to another database, and can be used with the Create using existing template option to make a full copy of a database.

Additionally, the following bugs have been fixed in v4.3.0:
Fixed crash bug on some devices when Camera or Photo was chosen
Fixed bug with the way parenthesis were handled in complex filter settings
If Password required on DB Properties, create database with use existing template action behaved unpredictably
Export of a Linked field to CSV gave a value that couldn't be reimported without breaking the relationship it had to it's parent record
When you are in the Edit Field screen, and have the keyboard showing and select the 'Field Type' button, the Edit Field screen will now no longer let you scroll to the bottom of the screen.
If you select 'create using existing template' and then return to the Choose Database screen, pressing categories resulted in a crash.

I don't know when this version will be approved, but we've had some updates approve in as little as 4 days and others take 20. We're obviously all hoping for the 4 day response time this time around!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase 4.3.0 submitted to the app store

Postby Astroman33 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! It's much appreciated.
Astroman33

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Astroman33 wrote:Thanks for keeping us in the loop! It's much appreciated.

My pleasure! This is one of the things I most enjoy about the new forums. Before I didn't want to burden people of other platforms with TMI, but here's it's welcome and on-topic ;)
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 pm

Here's a not-so-good-news follow up to the release I mentioned above. I got an email from Apple that reads:

Your application, HanDBase Database Manager, is requiring unexpected additional time for review. We apologize for the delay, and will update you with further status as soon as we are able.

--

From what I've read, this is rarely good. This typically means they are internally debating or belaboring over something in the app and sometimes people have a long time before receiving a response. I have no idea why adding a copy record command or some bug fixes would trip them up, but I'm worried to hear what crazy response if any we'll eventually see. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear anything else!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi folks,

After over 6 weeks of waiting, I finally received a comment from Apple about the hold up. I have corrected the items they didn't like and resubmitted today. I'm told it will be approved much more quickly (in the order of days). So hopefully 4.3.0 will be available soon, and we are already started working on the next update to follow. After this scary delay, I'm excited once again about the future of HanDBase on the iPhone and hope you will be too!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:02 pm

Woohoo, Apple finally approved 4.3.0, grab it shortly on the App Store!
dhaupert

Postby nigelp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:00 am

At last I have the update!! So who is going to do a tutorial of the main changes and how to use them?

Nigel
nigelp

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:19 am

nigelp wrote:At last I have the update!! So who is going to do a tutorial of the main changes and how to use them?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your post. There is only one feature change in this version. This may surprise people- after all, our last update was released in early July, so surely we must have a lot tied into this version. In fact, because of the 2 month delay between our submission on August 5th and the final release today, we really only had about a month of time between app submissions, and not all of that was spent coding new features.

So the new feature in this version is the Copy and Move Records feature. I hope to have the documentation updated for this feature, but hopefully it's pretty intuitive. If you're viewing or editing a record and want to copy or move it to another database, select this from the action menu. The receiving database must have the same structure as the one you're in, meaning all field types must be the same.

If you're wanting to perhaps archive or duplicate a bunch of records, instead of doing them one by one, go to the list view, adjust your view or filters such that only the ones you want to copy or move are visible in the list view and then select Actions, Record Actions, Copy or Move records. This will copy or move all records within the current filter range.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby nigelp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Ahh I see but without copy and paste on the mac desktop version of handbase or the iPhone app we will need to manually duplicate the fields to paste records over? ;-)
nigelp

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:13 pm

nigelp wrote:Ahh I see but without copy and paste on the mac desktop version of handbase or the iPhone app we will need to manually duplicate the fields to paste records over? ;-)

On the iPhone, you can press the + button on the Databases screen and choose the second option "Choose Existing Template". This will let you select a database to copy the fields and structure from. Then you can use the copy or move records to add records to it if you desire!
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch