Cannot sync

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Cannot sync

Postby James02 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:59 pm

I have purchased the iphone app and the desktop package with the sync conduit. It just keeps telling me that it cannot find the iphone. I have turned off the firewall and antivirus, entered the address it says and nothing happens. Cannot connect at all. I have used both the setup new iphone user coonect and the sync button with the iphone running the app and telling me the address. This is a terrible way to do this.

James
James02

Re: Cannot sync

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:50 am

Hi James,

I believe I may have spoken with you separately a little while ago about this issue. The process for setting up a sync is outlined fairly well in the following guides:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=330

In particular the second and third item on that page are the Conduit quick start guides and they explain the process. The wizard instructions also explain the process. You start up Desktop Connect on the iPhone/iPod touch. It provides you with an address to give your computer.

On the computer you enter the same address in and it enables the two to communicate with each other.

Often we're asked why we can't just sync like the iTunes does, you plug in the cable and it happens automatically. This is how most all of our other platforms do it and believe me, we wish that were an option. Apple does not permit or provide a way for other applications to use the cable based sync, so applications such as ours have to come up with our own way to do so over the wifi network. That's the reason for the extra steps. That said, once you have things set up, it's quite easy to sync, and honestly I and others enjoy not needing a cable to do a synchronization!

Let me know if you're still having issues after reading the instructions above.
dhaupert

Postby James02 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:25 am

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. I already have followed the directions carefully. I finally got it to sync but it takes 10 tries to make it happen. This eventually will work but it take mes 15 minutes every time. I have to turn off norton or ir will never work and actually punch in the address several times and usually it will finally take. I have a vista ultimate dual core system with norton internet security. Yes, I have asked before since this is an ongoing process and I have trouble with it everytime so I am getting a little frustrated.

Thanks anyway
James
James02

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:01 pm

James02 wrote:Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. I already have followed the directions carefully. I finally got it to sync but it takes 10 tries to make it happen. This eventually will work but it take mes 15 minutes every time. I have to turn off norton or ir will never work and actually punch in the address several times and usually it will finally take. I have a vista ultimate dual core system with norton internet security. Yes, I have asked before since this is an ongoing process and I have trouble with it everytime so I am getting a little frustrated.

Thanks anyway

James

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to work with Norton Internet Security here, so you'll have to work with them to add an exception to our application to allow IP access to port 8080 for the HanDBase Desktop and HanDBase Conduit .exe files.

This is usually outlined in the documentation for a firewall product, and you just need to follow the steps. Once an exception is added to allow full access on that port, you should not need to disable any of the core program, it's just that initial setup that is a bit of a pain!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch