What level of encryption is offered on the iPhone?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Postby $bill » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:27 am

Is this information still current? I have been holding off my purchase of the iphone version because of it.

From the FAQ (10/16/2008)
As of version 4.0, HanDBase supports 128bit encryption using the open format, SaferSK. This being said, the iPhone version of HanDBase is currently limiting the length of it's password to 8 characters, yielding a maximum of 64bits encryption. Why did we do this? Apple required a special certification with the US export regulations bodies in order to distribute programs with greater than 64 bit encryption. We applied for this certification in late September but it can take upwards of a month. So once we receive that certification, we will release an update to the HanDBase app to remove that limitation and offer full 128bit encryption to match the other platforms.
$bill

Re: What level of encryption is offered on the iPhone?

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 am

$bill wrote:Is this information still current? I have been holding off my purchase of the iphone version because of it.

From the FAQ (10/16/2008)
As of version 4.0, HanDBase supports 128bit encryption using the open format, SaferSK. This being said, the iPhone version of HanDBase is currently limiting the length of it's password to 8 characters, yielding a maximum of 64bits encryption. Why did we do this? Apple required a special certification with the US export regulations bodies in order to distribute programs with greater than 64 bit encryption. We applied for this certification in late September but it can take upwards of a month. So once we receive that certification, we will release an update to the HanDBase app to remove that limitation and offer full 128bit encryption to match the other platforms.

My apologies for not updating that FAQ, but the 128 bit encryption version was released several months ago after getting approval by Apple and the government both!

I will update the FAQ now before others get led down that wrong path as well. Thanks and sorry!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch