Autoselect View

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Autoselect View

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi,
I would need some help regarding views:
It seems to me that there is no way to define which view is used for different situations, handbase always uses the last selected view of each database.
I would need to specfy which view i want to use in different situations - f.e. using the View "A" in the list-view, the "View B" in the Record/Edit view - but without manually switching.
The same i would need when linking databases with the link/linked filed-type, There seems to be no way to define which view it should use when calling a linked database.
It´s very hard to define only "one" view per database which "fits for all" then.. - but maybe there is a way to specify/define which view should be used?
I know that you can use the startup option to define a view when the database is opened, but that is to less flexibility.

Thank you for help,
Best Regards,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Re: Autoselect View

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:47 am

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your post. I don't see why you'd need a second view for the edit record screen when a view lets you set independently which fields are shown in the list view from the edit record screen. Each has a setting (percentage of list view and Show in Edit Record screen parameters) that you can set on a single view. If you want to change the order between them, then I'd suggest designing a custom form where you have full control.

HanDBase has always been designed to be used in the manner that you create and adjust your list of records via the List View and then tap an individual record to see the detail or edit it. It sounds like you are trying to use it in a different manner than that!
dhaupert

Postby Wolfgang » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer. The Reason why i would need this is that i also want to have fields in different order in the list and edit mode. On the iPhone the 'edit' Mode is in my opinion much easier to use as to use forms, it's more 'iPhone like' to enter data.
Another reason is this situation: i have a dB 'tasks' and 'Customer' - which are linked. When tapping on a specific customer via the linked field, i Jump into the list view of dB tasks of that customer. As the screen of the iphone is quite small, i optimized a view in 'task' for that reason. But i use the dB 'task' also in different other situations, with other views, standalone or via link of other dB's. But as handbase uses always the 'Last used' view for every call of the db, i have to select manually the correct view, or try to create a common view which fits for all.

Maybe there is another way arround?

Best Regards,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 am

Honestly the Forms screen is the intended workaround for this- you can create a form that looks just like an edit record screen with your own field order. I know it takes more work to set up, but you have complete control and you can make a big long form that scrolls just like the Edit Record screen if you desire that look!
dhaupert

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi Dave,

For the Record view i agree, i was not aware that forms could be made that long. But what to do with the list-view? Is ist possible to create a Form also in List-style, showing a list of records? If Not, i have to use different views, and then i come back to my original problem to only have one 'preselected' view. What would help a lot would be the possibility to specific in the 'link' field the Name of the view which should be used when jumping to the linked database. Or maybe you know another way out?

Best Regards,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:48 am

Hi,

When following a link, there is not a way to configure a predefined view for this at this time. It is something that I've heard requested once or twice and I could certainly see how it would be useful in some cases, but right now it's not a possibility - you always need to select the view you want at that time. On iOS I did make it so that it remembers the previous selected view, whereas on other platforms it used to reset to the default view. In both cases, I don't follow the startup selection as there was a time when I did and it caused a lot of problems as people want to see all related records to a parent and sometimes they were being filtered out.

Sorry, but at least take solace in that a view is at most 2 taps away.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch