?problem with 4.8.715 or just bad timing

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

?problem with 4.8.715 or just bad timing

Postby mostlyharmless » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Greeting, my first post here:

So I've been using HanDBase since 1998, I think, started on the PalmOS and migrated to the iPhone a few years ago. I'm running 4.8.715 which was updated 2/20/2013 on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0 I have a number of databases, including one with 8269 records in it. It is not encrypted. After 10 years the database became completely corrupted today. I opened it and the entries are scrambled. I did try searching it, and HanDbase crashed. I tried rebooting the phone, with no change.

Usually the database gets several hundred entries a month these days, but none were added, I think, until today. I have a backup, which is unfortunately 2 weeks old. Better than nothing, I suppose.

But, this is the first time I've had this issue with losing a database of any size, never had a problem, or I wouldn't save data of this size and I would backup a lot more often.

Just a coincidence, or is this a problem with the latest update?
Any ideas before I continue to rely on HanDBase?
mostlyharmless

Re: ?problem with 4.8.715 or just bad timing

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:48 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and very sorry to hear of the corruption. There haven't been any reports of problems with the latest release causing corruption, yours is the first I've heard of it and the release is about a month old now. While that does not provide much in the way of solace for you, I will continue to test and watch for any issues to be reported from others.

Did you experience any sort of crash before you saw the scrambled characters and letters? Or anything odd happen before the corruption?
dhaupert

Re: ?problem with 4.8.715 or just bad timing

Postby mostlyharmless » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:18 pm

No, no crash, didn't do anything odd -- as far as I know --

I use the program very often, turn off the phone and slide it into my pocket.. so it's possible that something happened.. just like you can umm accidentally phone someone, or accidentally take a picture of the inside of your pocket.

However, I turned it off after entering the data, and turned it on. Interestingly, I cloned the database, and the forms, fields, drop-downs and all of that were fine, just the data was scrambled.
mostlyharmless

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch