keyboard layout when numbers

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

keyboard layout when numbers

Postby Joerg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am

Hi,

why is there always the standard keyboard (QWERTZ) showing when I have a field that is an Integer or Float? Is there no way to bring up the numbers keypad by default?

Cheers
Joerg
Joerg

Re: keyboard layout when numbers

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 am

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for your post. The number pad you're likely looking for is the dial pad which has the digits 0-9 and a backspace, right? This one is often requested, but unfortunately there is no return key or decimal separator in that screen- both are needed for our app, so that is why we go to the qwerty keyboard, but the program should go to the numeric entry portion of that keypad.

Hoping some day Apple will make a better option- one with the decimal separator and a done/return button as well. I'd definitely like to switch to it.

As an alternative, with the forms option you can create your own keypad for fields that will benefit from it. The checkbook sample database has a keypad at the heart of its form so that you don't even need to pull up a keyboard to enter an amount, for example.
dhaupert

Postby RMittelman » Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Hey Dave,

The iPhone has 2 different numeric keypads. Both LOOK like telephone keypads, and both have letters below each number (except 1 and 0), but the difference is that the "real" telephone keypad has # and * on the bottom row, but the "other" telephone keypad has decimal point and backspace instead. I'm looking at an example right now from another app. I took an iPhone dev class a few years ago and saw this, but can't remember the name of that "other" keypad.
Ron Mittelman
RMittelman

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Wow Ron, thanks so much for writing this! In fact, they added a new keyboard type in OS4.1 and all this time I never knew. When I first wrote HanDBase we were in OS 2.x and there was no option for this. I checked a few times with OS3 and OS4 but they never added an option for this. Now I did some searching and found indeed that there is a new keyboard type that has the decimal point like you said. We don't need a done button since we have the keyboard hide button on the toolbar, so this is a perfect thing to use for this scenario.

Thanks again!
dhaupert

Postby Joerg » Fri May 03, 2013 3:22 pm

For me the QWERTZ(Y) keyboard is always the one which is showing up, I always have to hit the 123-button on the lower left corner to get the numbers.

But when I read the thread correctly there is another option around? :)
Joerg

Postby SewLynn » Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 pm

I agree with Joerg.

I create a new field in a database I've been using for years. In April every year I create a new integer field to tally something for the year. All my years since begin with the text keyboard even though the field was established as an integer field. Only ONE TIME (last year) when I created the new field for 2012, did it bring up the numeric keyboard. It saved me thousands of keystrokes by not having to recall the numeric keyboard.

This year it's back to the alpha keyboard. I have searched everything I can about the field to find some tiny difference but find all the attributes of the field exactly the same.
SewLynn

Postby Joerg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm

I also have several other apps on iOS that have a customized keyboard in use, there is a grey bar above the keyboard having special characters ready to use.

But for me it would already a step forward to have the standard keyboard automatically switched to the numbers layout, so I wont need to press the "123" button any time...
Joerg

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Hmm, this may then be also a bug as this works for me every time. I'm wondering if it's based on what region you are set for. Perhaps you can tell me your regional settings and I'll try switching to them to see if the problem then surfaces.

Are either of you using forms? If so, you should be able to specify the keyboard there for a text box regardless of the field type.
dhaupert

Postby SewLynn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:20 pm

After my last post it still bugged me that I could not get a numric keyboard when I had an integer field so I kept hunting and I now have the answer.

Select your database
Select tools from the bottom of the screen
Select Database Properties - the last item
Select forms
Select you from
Select edit
Select the integer field you want the numeric keyboard to work for
Select the 'gear' at the bottom (which I believe is attributes
Select the 'gear' again - this time it says attributes
Go down the list until you see Type of Keyboard
Switch it to Numeric
Back out as necessary

It works.
SewLynn

Postby Joerg » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:30 am

Excellent, while on my iPad the numeric keyboard was showing up as expected, it did not for my iPhone, but due to your instruction I could make it work! That was exactly the thing I was looking for!
Joerg

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch