When are fields calculated?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Postby lalillie » Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Recently moved a database from Palm OS to iPod Touch. I keep a log and enter some fields used in calculated fields. On the iTouch the fields aren't calculated until the record is saved. Is there a way to force the calculation during data entry? This wasn't a problem before. I need those values as suggestions for another field.
lalillie

Re: When are fields calculated?

Postby dhaupert » Tue May 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi,

A recalc should happen when you exit a field from editing. It shouldn't have to save before a recalc is performed. If you have a database where you're not seeing this, please send it to support@ddhsoftware.com and we'll take a look and see if there is a bug in the program or the database!
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 pm

There is something unusual about lalillie's database. I use a database app that I moved from Palm OS (Smartlist To Go) to HanDBase, and the fields re-calculate when exiting the field.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: When are fields calculated?

Postby lalillie » Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am

I don't believe the problem is with my database. But maybe I'm missing something. Here is a simple example. I created a new db. Field1 and Field2 are integer fields. Field3 is a calculated field (Field1 + Field2). I create a new record. Tap Field1 and enter value. Tap Done. No change in Field3. Tap Field2 and enter value. Tap Done. No change in Field3. Tap Save. Field3 shows the calculated value in the record list. Shouldn't Field3 change in value after I enter each value for Field1 and Field2?
lalillie

Postby ArGiEs » Thu May 16, 2013 4:31 pm

I take that back. I just experiemented with my DB with calculating fields, and the result does not show until I tap save. I think it worked differently in Palm OS, and that's probably what I was remembering. I have an auto mileage log which has fields Begin, End, and Total. This DB works backwards from what one might expect: at the end of my workday I first enter End (the reading on the vehicle's main odometer), then Total (the amount of miles I traveld that day as recorded by a seperate trip odometer), then tap Save and the Begining mileage is calculated (End -Total = Begin). I hadn't taken much notice before now, but it appears nothing is triggered until the record is Saved.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch