HB & iOS7

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

HB & iOS7

Postby ArGiEs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Hey, Dave

Just curious: after hearing/reading seeing the upcoming iOS 7, how will that affect the appearance of HanDBase? Will you have to strip away textures and gradients from UI and the icon? Are there upcoming potentials for new features & capabilities? Am I asking all of this very prematurely? ;)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: HB & iOS7

Postby ken.w » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 am

This was an interesting take from Marco Arment: http://www.marco.org/2013/06/11/fertile-ground .
ken.w

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Bob and Ken,

Great thread for discussion! Obviously the direction of iOS7 does not match well with the textures and skeumorphic file cabinet/desk paradigm in HanDBase. From the looks of the videos shown however, I don't think pre iOS7 apps are going to be broken, they will just look out of place. I fully intend to update HanDBase to stay current but just as I had an option for the file cabinet vs classic style, I hope to add another theme to the mix (perhaps called iOS7 style).

Ironically I already created my own translucent popup screens (eg, the popup field, view selector, etc) as I saw the value in that long before Apple. I know I'm no where near the caliber of designer that Apple can afford, but this is one of many times where HanDBase was actually ahead of the pack with UI. For example, if you look at the images of HanDBase for Palm OS and then look at the first iteration of iPhone you'll find a few things that I can proudly say were done well before Apple 'invented' them ;)

As far as what is really important- features and capabilities, this year was kind of a disappointment in that regard. They may very well have those enhancements but for the most part it was the new UI and OS level features that were shown off. The one thing I noticed right away was the AirDrop feature -where you'd be able to send a database from one device to another locally without having to email or DropBox it. That sounds like something useful for multi-user HanDBase scenarios. Other than that, I didn't really notice anything.

That said, over the next few weeks I'll download the beta SDKs and see what sorts of things can be added- sadly, once I do, I'll be bound under NDA to not talk about anything I find that isn't public knowledge. So that's part of why I'm waiting- I enjoy being part of the discussion and excitement of the new launches and feel left out when I'm unable to speak freely about them!

Lastly, what did you guys think of the new UI? I was glad it wasn't the Windows Phone rehash that the rumor mockups shown as I'd hate for it to be so unoriginal. But I have to say I didn't really like the new look and colors. The font looks great and the move to lighter backgrounds is fine by me, but the pastel color set and abstract icons looked really subpar in my opinion. I seem to be in the minority these days when I say that I think Skeumorphism (that is simulating real world objects for familiarity) has some real value on a platform. While no one carries a calculator around anymore, everyone still knows that the calculator paradigm makes sense, or that the old camera still makes sense as an icon and paradigm in those situations. I think the reason so many seniors around the world are using iPads as their daily computer is that it's so accessible to them. I know my Mom calls me far less using an iPad than she did trying to butcher her way through a Windows Vista laptop ;) I guess everything has a time and a season and skeumorphism's came and went with the passing of Steve Jobs. But I have to admit I am kind of disappointed in it's replacement du jour. Just my 0.02!
dhaupert

Postby ken.w » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 am

Hey, Dave. I'll reserve full judgement until I can actually use iOS 7, but for the most part I really like it. Of course anything can change by the time the OS is released, but other than the fugly Safari icon, I really like the new ones. I'm very excited about the new "accessibility" features, like the Control Center. About time. I've read some good perspectives on the flat icons, in that they're flat, but so they can be just one layer of many in that parallax view. So overall I'm very positive.
ken.w

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am

Certainly control center was a very sorely needed feature. I just hope it allows us to customize what is there- I rarely touch the brightness, but quite often turn on/off the hotspot feature for example.

re: icons, certainly agree with Safari- I thought it would be a great time to finally come up with something that actually shows 'web browser' as it's function and not a compass! I think the photos and game center icons look like placeholder icons you see in app templates- they are just a generic bunch of colors.
dhaupert

Postby ken.w » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Don't get your hopes up on customizing Control Center. I doubt they'll allow that, as cool as it would be. Maybe in iOS 8. :)
ken.w

Postby ken.w » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:52 pm

This is a good writeup: http://mattgemmell.com/2013/06/12/ios-7/ .

Made me thing that HDB form elements could be updated to be more iOS 7 style. Buttons and such.
ken.w

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi,

Indeed that would be part of what I outlined earlier- the icons, background textures, and buttons have to be adjusted accordingly to match for the newer theme!
dhaupert

HB & iOS7

Postby ArGiEs » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Hey,

Jumping in a little later in my own thread, but it's my first opportunity.

The icons were somewhat of a letdown. I jumped into iOS about three years ago; having come from Palm OS 5 (oh yeah, now I remember--Garnet), and BB OS 7, I thought the iOS look was superb. But, whatever...I didn't pick iOS for the look. Since what we saw is not the final product, there may be some tweaking & things might change some when it ships this Fall (September?).

When I mentioned capabilities, I was thinking of the kind of thing we've spoken of before - dialing a number and then the app returning to view after the call ends - stuff that only a programmer when be made aware of. Yeah, I know, after the NDA expires!

In general, the practical features (control center, notification center, multitasking, &etc.) are what I'm really looking forward to.

Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

HB & iOS7

Postby ArGiEs » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Actually, after looking at a pic of an black iPhone 5 with the iOS 7 homepage with darker background, I think it'll be a bit nicer for me. We'll all see later this year ;)

Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch