Backup

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Backup

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Seems there hasn't been much activity on this forum lately, so I'll contribute something that's one of my pet points - maybe it'll help someone: backup.

Sad to say, I've read in handheld forums - including this one - where some desperate soul has found they've lost or cannot access their data on their device, and if they can't get it back, their business & livelihood is lost. I learned that lesson the easy way, so to speak, a long time ago.

I run my business in a HanDBase db on my iPhone; I'll just share what I do.

1. Every evening I email the updated db to myself. Great thing; one can restore a lost/corrupted db quickly, and without an internet connection.

2. Every day I send it to Dropbox. Not quite as elegant, may reqire an internet connection, but a good way.

3. The built in wireless sync in HanDBase. Excellent backup to the computer.

4. ICloud. Backs up HB with other crucial files every night. Can't restore HB individually apart from the rest of the backup, but another good redundant safeguard.

5. ITunes backup, each night. A good local hard backup.

6. And, if by some wild, weird chance all of the above were to fail, I backup my entire computer harddrive once a week, and could at least get it back a little out of date (I call that the "nuclear option").

If all of that seems overkill, I'll just say that I've lost business databases before (fortunately in the days before I completley gave up paper records), and it's a bit scarey. Not only that, all the procedures mentioned above all together literally take only a few minutes of my time each day. Well worth it! The computer automatically backs up on a scheduled time; I just have to make sure it's on when it kicks in.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: Backup

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

It has been quiet on the forums. Hopefully things will pick up with iOS7 and the forthcoming updates.. ;)

Regarding backup- Don't forget that iCloud backs up the documents files as well automatically. My wife got her iPhone stolen and after we deactivated it via Find My iPhone we got a new one (her contract was up, thank God!), we were able to restore everything in about 30 minutes including all her databases.

That doesn't mean you should trust it as your only source- I email myself databases occasionally as a poor man's backup solution when I'm about to make some major changes on the device and not near my computer to sync!

I hope there will be more options for backups in the future :)
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ken.w » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Another tool I've found invaluable when dealing with an app as complex as HanDBase is iExplorer. Definitely a use at your own risk type application, but it's allowed me to really get into the individual files inside HanDBase, like the images. This has come in so handy for one particularly image-heavy database of mine.
ken.w

Postby ArGiEs » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 pm

ken.w wrote:Another tool I've found invaluable when dealing with an app as complex as HanDBase is iExplorer. Definitely a use at your own risk type application, but it's allowed me to really get into the individual files inside HanDBase, like the images. This has come in so handy for one particularly image-heavy database of mine.

Just followed your link to iExplorer. That looks like quite a utility! How well has it worked for you, generally speaking?
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Backup

Postby ken.w » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:32 pm

I actually can't recommend it highly enough. It allows you full access to the apps' files and has been 100% rock solid. I love being able to get files in and out of apps without having to jump through the standard hoops.

They have a free trial, so check it out and let me know what you think.
ken.w

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:16 am

I also recommend iExplorer to customers all the time. Not necessarily as a backup solution for HanDBase, but for all sorts of useful purposes with all of your apps!
dhaupert

Postby ken.w » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:44 am

dhaupert wrote:I also recommend iExplorer to customers all the time. Not necessarily as a backup solution for HanDBase, but for all sorts of useful purposes with all of your apps!

Agreed about it not being a backup solution, but a perfect compliment to one for quick and easy restoration of files during a restore. It's amazed me how when transferring a large amount of data with iExplorer how when it seems to freeze or beachball, it is indeed working and comes back every time. I can't say I've ever seen it crash. And it gracefully handles plugging and unplugging of devices.

At work I support a lot of iDevices and it's also been great for easily getting documents in and out of apps so I don't have to go through all the crap with iTunes. You interact just as if the iPhone were another device on the system.
ken.w

Backup

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Hmm. Almost seems the kind of thing Apple wouldn't allow….
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby ken.w » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:57 pm

ArGiEs wrote:Hmm. Almost seems the kind of thing Apple wouldn't allow….

Probably why it's not sold in the MAS. ;-)
ken.w

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch