Synch trouble

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Synch trouble

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 am

I have reviewed the knowledge section and I think that I have been able to establish an Ad Hoc connection because there is a check mark on the Iphone in the wifi connections page and windows vista indicates an Ad hoc connection with rate 54 and a strong connection. File sharing is turned on.

The iphone however, still shows a 3g connection rather than the wifi signal and when I touch the desktop connection symbol in the Handbase application a message pops up telling me that I need to establish a wifi connection first. How do I troubleshoot this problem? I am new to wifi connections.
Woody

Re: Synch trouble

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:50 pm

Woody wrote:I have reviewed the knowledge section and I think that I have been able to establish an Ad Hoc connection because there is a check mark on the Iphone in the wifi connections page and windows vista indicates an Ad hoc connection with rate 54 and a strong connection. File sharing is turned on.

The iphone however, still shows a 3g connection rather than the wifi signal and when I touch the desktop connection symbol in the Handbase application a message pops up telling me that I need to establish a wifi connection first. How do I troubleshoot this problem? I am new to wifi connections.

Hi,

The iPhone is supposed to let the Wifi signal trump the 3G signal. That is, if you are in a 3G connection area but are also connected to wifi, the wifi connection will be used and not the 3G connection. Technically, you are connected via 3G while connected via wifi, but it will use the wifi and not the 3G connection. So I'm not sure why the iPhone doesn't believe that it's wifi should be connected but not the main connection.

One thing you could try is to switch on airplane mode. that turns off all communication over the cell network and wifi both. But you can then go an re-enable wifi after the fact and you'd then be able to see if WIFI is trully working for you. Assuming it is, you'd have a bit of an obtruse way to connect to your desktop, but we can then investigate further why your device is behaving differently than all the others!
dhaupert

Re: Synch trouble

Postby Woody » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:10 am

That worked. I was able to sync no problem. After I was done I left the wireless connection on and turned the airplane mode off. The wireless symbol remained for about 30 seconds and then switched back to 3G. I have looked at some of the other forums including the main apple Iphone forum and it looks like a lot of people are having connection problems with wifi. Seems like this could be a software problem.
Woody

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch