Next update

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Next update

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Now, as you know, Dave, we the forum members are all waiting with bated breath for the next iOS HanDBase update. My assumption is that you're awaiting the actual shipping of iOS 7 before you release it. Is this correct? The suspense is mounting!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: Next update

Postby dhaupert » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Bob,

Let the fact that I'm working at 10pm on a Friday night provide you with some clues as to our plans ;) I'm actually preparing to submit tonight!! So excited for you guys to see this update. I'll let you know what's in it when I finish sending it off..
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Ten o'clock on a Friday night? Gee...now I feel guilty for asking!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:35 am

ArGiEs wrote:Ten o'clock on a Friday night? Gee...now I feel guilty for asking!

The updates were submitted late last night - around 1 am Dave's time (we are in different time zones). I'll let him post the full change log, and maybe a few teasing screenshots, but let me say - HanDBase is BEAUTIFUL. You will most likely feel as though you are using a completely different - yet familiar - product due to how attractive it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ArGiEs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:41 am

Sweet! Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work, Dave!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby ken.w » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:57 am

Hi, Bob. I'll second Brian's comments. I've been beta testing HanDBase for iPhone under iOS 7 and Dave has done a TREMENDOUS job. To add to what Brian said, much like iOS 7 makes your iOS device feel like a brand new device, HanDBase feels like a brand new app. I'd go so far as to say that it feels like a model citizen under iOS 7. Be excited!
ken.w

Postby dhaupert » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:47 am

And indeed, it was submitted late Friday night! Here's hoping Apple approves it quickly :)

Here's a short list of what is new:

New Features in 4.9.0:

- All new UI for iOS7
- Partially updated UI for iOS6
- Two New Color Themes, all new retina display graphics throughout
- AirDrop Support - send/sync a database directly to another device.
- Print/Save a form as a PDF while editing a record. When you're in a record that is a custom designed form, you can print that form to an Airprint printer, attach it as a PDF to an email, or open it in iBooks, GoodReader, etc. Bye bye paper forms!
- Two line record display in list view so you can see more data without having to open a record.
- New Super Search feature- the Quick Search and Advanced Search feature got together and their offspring is a much simpler and more powerful version than either of it's parents!
- Settings are now live- as you tweak the font settings or themes you can see the changes happen in the background.
- Ability to Export a database as CSV and open in Numbers, email, etc.
- Ability to email records or a single record as a CSV file
- New Database receive handler which gives you the option to overwrite or sync with an existing database when you open it from an email, dropbox, AirDrop, etc.
- New Icon
- Form Wizard enhanced- makes better designed forms automatically
- New Choose Database Screen.
- When you provide a database to others online (ie, via the gallery or via a website upload) and you share that link with others, you provide them with a handbase:// link instead of the http:// link. When you do this, HanDBase handles the download but not only that, it remembers the link it got it from and automatically checks for updates to that database in the background. This means that you can release information to your coworkers, students, etc and they will be able to automatically receive the updates to this database!

And so much more.. Best of all, this is a free update to you. I know you've heard and seen how others are releasing their upgrades as a separate version. This means they charge their customers all over again, but it also makes it easier on them as they can use the older compilers to target the older versions and the newer compiler for just the new features and OS. It was really tough making versions of all the icons and checks in the code for which version you are running, and ultimately we had to require iOS6 and higher for this version due to the toolset, but I think not charging you guys all over again was the right thing to do.

We hope you'll love this update and simply ask that you please post some great reviews to return the favor!
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Well, after all that, I can't see how one could not post positive reviews! I get the feeling I'm going to be staying up late a few nights, familiarizing myself not only with iOS 7 but HanDBase updated as well... ;)
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby ken.w » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm

iOS 7 is very much updated, but for the most part the core functionality is pretty much the same.
ken.w

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:45 pm

ken.w wrote:iOS 7 is very much updated, but for the most part the core functionality is pretty much the same.

Core functionality is definitely the same... the workflow is the same as are all of the same conventions. As you all know, we try very hard to keep the same structure across the board. While HanDBase will likely feel new, you definitely will not be a fish out of water when using it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch