HanDBase for iPhone v4.9.0 submitted to the App Store

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

HanDBase for iPhone v4.9.0 submitted to the App Store

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 am

Reposting this as a separate thread just in case it's missed within the 'Next Update' topic:

HanDBase for iPhone v4.9.0 was submitted on Friday to the App Store for review. Hopefully it's approved in time for the iOS7 launch this week!

Here's a short list of what is new:

New Features in 4.9.0:

- All new UI for iOS7
- Partially updated UI for iOS6
- Two New Color Themes, all new retina display graphics throughout
- AirDrop Support - send/sync a database directly to another device.
- Print/Save a form as a PDF while editing a record. When you're in a record that is a custom designed form, you can print that form to an Airprint printer, attach it as a PDF to an email, or open it in iBooks, GoodReader, etc. Bye bye paper forms!
- Two line record display in list view so you can see more data without having to open a record.
- New Super Search feature- the Quick Search and Advanced Search feature got together and their offspring is a much simpler and more powerful version than either of it's parents!
- Settings are now live- as you tweak the font settings or themes you can see the changes happen in the background.
- Ability to Export a database as CSV and open in Numbers, email, etc.
- Ability to email records or a single record as a CSV file
- New Database receive handler which gives you the option to overwrite or sync with an existing database when you open it from an email, dropbox, AirDrop, etc.
- New Icon
- Form Wizard enhanced- makes better designed forms automatically
- New Choose Database Screen.
- When you provide a database to others online (ie, via the gallery or via a website upload) and you share that link with others, you provide them with a handbase:// link instead of the http:// link. When you do this, HanDBase handles the download but not only that, it remembers the link it got it from and automatically checks for updates to that database in the background. This means that you can release information to your coworkers, students, etc and they will be able to automatically receive the updates to this database!

And so much more.. Best of all, this is a free update to you. I know you've heard and seen how others are releasing their upgrades as a separate version. This means they charge their customers all over again, but it also makes it easier on them as they can use the older compilers to target the older versions and the newer compiler for just the new features and OS. It was really tough making versions of all the icons and checks in the code for which version you are running, and ultimately we had to require iOS6 and higher for this version due to the toolset, but I think not charging you guys all over again was the right thing to do.

We hope you'll love this update and simply ask that you please post some great reviews to return the favor!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase for iPhone v4.9.0 submitted to the App Store

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:52 pm

And it's live in the store! Of course if you don't already have iOS7, you can still download it (runs on iOS6 minimum though), but you won't get the full experience until the iOS7 update happens on Wednesday!

Enjoy...
dhaupert

Postby kbhom » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 pm

I just downloaded the update. Just wondering if you implemented the modified number keypad (with the "." and backspace rather than * and #), because I couldn't figure out how to get it to come up. Or is it an iOS 7 feature?

Thank you for such a wonderful product,
Brian
kbhom

Postby searley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:34 am

I am running ios7 GM

I can not any longer find how to email a database as the 'edit' button no longer exists in the list of databases

I also can not see where/how air share is used..

please advise
searley

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 am

kbhom wrote:I just downloaded the update. Just wondering if you implemented the modified number keypad (with the "." and backspace rather than * and #), because I couldn't figure out how to get it to come up. Or is it an iOS 7 feature?

Brian

Hello,

Thanks for following up. I don't believe this was addressed in this build. Dave will have to confirm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 am

searley wrote:I am running ios7 GM

I can not any longer find how to email a database as the 'edit' button no longer exists in the list of databases

please advise

To email tap the three dots to the right of the database name. The management options will be revealed.

Regarding Airshare, Dave will have to comment as I don't yet have iOS 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 am

searley wrote:I am running ios7 GM

please advise

Hi,

Thanks for your post. You raise a good point- new users of the program receive a help bubble showing them how to do this. Rather than the old 'Manage' button you can press the ellipsis next to each database to see a bunch of options just like the manage had before.

When you choose Open In.. as the option, Airdrop should show as an option there along with the apps that can open HanDBase files. You will also notice you have the option of opening the data as a CSV file also!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:12 am

kbhom wrote:I just downloaded the update. Just wondering if you implemented the modified number keypad (with the "." and backspace rather than * and #), because I couldn't figure out how to get it to come up. Or is it an iOS 7 feature?

Brian

Hi Brian,

In all of the commotion of this it seems I neglected to add that feature- I am so sorry! I already know I have to do a quick update to address a few other small issues (and anything else that comes up in the first week) so I will get this in there very quickly. Sorry again for missing this one!
dhaupert

Postby dh.gixxer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 am

Hi,
My phone auto-updated the app yesterday. I seem to be experiencing a UI issue where the labels for fields are positioned exactly where the data values are positioned. The data values are just about legible due to the different colours, and because the data values are drawn after ("on top of") the labels. See the attached for an example. This may be one of the 'few things' that you've hinted will be fixed in a future update after the first week of usage.

Great update to an awesome app ;-)

Dan
Attachments
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (47.45 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
dh.gixxer

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Sorry- indeed that is one of them- it only happens if you have the following settings in place:
Field Name: Above Field value
Justification: Centered

Field Value Justification: Centered.

I would suggest switching to a different setup. For new users, I changed the default layout to:
Field Name: Left of Field Value
Justification: Center
Field Value Justification: Right

I will be fixing this bug this week and hope to get the update submitted as soon as all of the issues are ironed out.

Sorry again!
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch