Known Bugs in HanDBase for iPhone 4.9.0

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Known Bugs in HanDBase for iPhone 4.9.0

Postby mortonleifer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Dear Dave,

Thanks for the update to 4.9.02.

While some users may find minor issues in your latest update with use in their particular database, I find your latest version nothing less than perfect for the dozen or so databases I maintain.
I want to express my appreciation for you continually and promptly updating your software to keep up with the many changes that have been made to the I phone.

Each of your updates have also increased the functionality and smoothness of operation beyond what I ever expected possible considering the platform and the initial cost.

I am a long time user and still maintain an off-line HanDbase database on my Trio-650.

There is no question that HanDbase for the I phone is the very best value available and I thank you for keeping it up to date.

Best wishes.

Morty
mortonleifer

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks for your kind feedback.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 am

Hi Morty,

Indeed thanks- it's VERY much appreciated!
dhaupert

Postby ken.w » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 am

You'd better charge for 5.0, Dave. You so deserve it!
ken.w

Postby dgmike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I upgraded to 4.9.02 this morning and I am getting a Handbase crash every time I use any database popup which pulls more than one field of data. This may have been happening in 4.9 but I didn't use it much and may have missed this possible bug.
When I use database popups that only pull one field they seem to work fine.
Specifically I pull up a customers name into a bidding database and it pulls their specific discount and address etc...at the same time...and this shuts down Handbase.
Another database is doing the same thing when I pull multiple fields (through one database popup) of bidding details into the summary bid database.
I haven't gotten into the databases to see if it is a certain type of field crashing it or if it is simply a certain number of fields setting off the crash. I guess some fields might have had their field type changed in the 4.9.02 update.
With my bidding software down now I am doing bids by hand which hasn't allowed me to tear into Handbase and find out if there is something obviouse. I will get to it as quickly as I can. I will start by making a template of the two offending databases and start tweaking!
I would love any hints or ideas on what I am experiencing.
Thanks,
Mike Thatcher
dgmike

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:50 pm

dgmike wrote:I upgraded to 4.9.02 this morning and I am getting a Handbase crash every time I use any database popup which pulls more than one field of data. This may have been happening in 4.9 but I didn't use it much and may have missed this possible bug.
When I use database popups that only pull one field they seem to work fine.
Specifically I pull up a customers name into a bidding database and it pulls their specific discount and address etc...at the same time...and this shuts down Handbase.
Another database is doing the same thing when I pull multiple fields (through one database popup) of bidding details into the summary bid database.
I haven't gotten into the databases to see if it is a certain type of field crashing it or if it is simply a certain number of fields setting off the crash. I guess some fields might have had their field type changed in the 4.9.02 update.
With my bidding software down now I am doing bids by hand which hasn't allowed me to tear into Handbase and find out if there is something obviouse. I will get to it as quickly as I can. I will start by making a template of the two offending databases and start tweaking!
I would love any hints or ideas on what I am experiencing.
Thanks,
Mike Thatcher

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. I just tried a simple database with just two DB popups in it with the same group. Worked fine without crashing, so while there may be some issue there, I think it's more complex than the use of Groups. Since I didn't change any code with regards to groups, that makes sense. It's likely due to some other combination of events. If you could send me the crash log I may be able to find out what caused it. Otherwise, if you could send me the databases in question I can try to debug the problem!

Thanks in advance.
dhaupert

Postby benevision » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 am

Hi, not sure if this is a bug or not but since upgrading to 4.9.+ I can't turn off the Quick Search field at the top of every database screen. I'm sure I used to be able to turn this off for particular views in the Field Order screen as detailed in the manual on page 72 (It takes up valuable screen space for my purpose). Now there's no "Quick Search Field" row visible in "Field Order"
Am I missing something?
Also is there a way to bypass the drop-down menu of database actions in the Databases screen so DBs can be opened in one click as before?

Still enjoy using this great software after many years (way back to PalmPilot days...)!
Thanks in advance.
benevision

Postby bwainwright » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 am

Latest update from the Apple App Store seems to have a problem with DB Popup fields. When you access the second database and make a selection to set the field value in the first database, the application crashes. Occurs under both iOS6 and iOS7.
bwainwright

Postby ken.w » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 am

benevision wrote:Also is there a way to bypass the drop-down menu of database actions in the Databases screen so DBs can be opened in one click as before?

Tap on the database name. :)
ken.w

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 am

benevision wrote:Hi, not sure if this is a bug or not but since upgrading to 4.9.+ I can't turn off the Quick Search field at the top of every database screen. I'm sure I used to be able to turn this off for particular views in the Field Order screen as detailed in the manual on page 72 (It takes up valuable screen space for my purpose). Now there's no "Quick Search Field" row visible in "Field Order"
Am I missing something?

HanDBase v4.9.0 indeed changed the search functionality. In the past there were two searches, the quick search, which showed at the top and let you search a single field only, and the Advanced Search, which took up two menu options and let you search one or all fields, with more flexibility as to case sensitivity, etc. In v4.9.0 we introduced a "Super Search" box which functions as a hybrid between them both. Now you don't have to define a quick search field, this is always visible, and you can search all fields, one field, choose case sensitive or not, and whether the field must start with the search term. There is no way to hide this search box as it's the one and only way to search in the program now. Hope this makes sense!

Also is there a way to bypass the drop-down menu of database actions in the Databases screen so DBs can be opened in one click as before?

As you probably saw, the program implemented a new Style (Modern) for the Choose Database screen doing away with the Manage button (which confused users often) and instead adding an ellipsis button to the right. Pressing the database name will launch the database, and pressing the ellipsis will present the manage options.

I'm guessing you may have switched back to using the File Cabinet setting instead of the new Modern one? If so, there was no room in the file folder design to have an ellipsis button so the functionality is such that you have to tap the database name and then choose the Open button. I would suggest switching to the new Modern style unless you absolutely loved the File cabinet one as it's more efficient in terms of screen taps.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch