4.9.X Changes to Interface not helpful

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: 4.9.X Changes to Interface not helpful

Postby dnolanmt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:48 am

The last several updates have dramatically reduced the size of the font on my view record (edit) screens to near unreadable. Upgrading to IOS 7 had no effect. None of the settings I've tried have had any effect. Am I missing something or have recent upgrades dropped the ability to change the font size?
dnolanmt

Postby dhaupert » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

Hi there,

Not sure why you're seeing smaller fonts as those were untouched. There is a setting for the View Record font size in the settings. Where on the slider is yours set? Have you tried increasing that?
dhaupert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Not sure why you're seeing smaller fonts as those were untouched. There is a setting for the View Record font size in the settings. Where on the slider is yours set? Have you tried increasing that?

Here is how to access those settings Dave was referring to:

1. Open HanDBase
2. Switch to the database selection screen
3. Tap the Settings button, which has an icon that resembles a gear
4. Choose HanDBase Settings

You will see several options, with font sliders being among them. You can experiment with different font sizes and placing, so see if you come up with something more readable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby hylee » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I think one way to resolve the search field reducing the usable display size is to make the home and file name row also serve as a search bar. Ideally on the same bar the way the iPad version of HanDBase has it, or else, by somehow toggling the two functions. I really like to way the new search function can search all fields or just one field, but the lost of screen space is unfortunate.
hylee

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The iPad version does in fact do this because there is room for it along with the database name and home button. On the iPhone the database name barely fits there, and there is definitely not going to be room for the search bar there too. There is no option to put it below the title, but that would effectively be the same as what you see now anyway, maybe saving a few lines.

I have some other ideas for ways to address this if it really proves to be a problem. So far, there have been a few of you who have mentioned it, but the majority of feedback we've had is positive. I know it's impossible to please everyone in every case, but I do try to please a large majority in my decisions. I'm going to watch and see what people think over the course of the next few months while I work on more pressing issues and I can always revisit if there is good demand for the change!
dhaupert

Postby hylee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 pm

I think the way iOS 7 Safari has used the interface with the address/search bar on top, and bookmarks, navigation etc on the bottom of the screen, and then hiding the navigation bar and shrinking the top address bar to a thinner line when one does an up gesture in the middle of the screen is a very elegent way to get more real estate on a small screen. I appreciate this may be quite a lot of work. Another alternative interface is to do what the Google Chrome app does which is combine all this very efficiently into one line on top. I appreciate that when HanDBase is in portrait mode this does not really matter so much, but in landscape mode this would make a world of a difference.
hylee

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch