orrible checkbox...

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

orrible checkbox...

Postby alessandrobusto » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 am

Please change the appearance of the checkbox... too big and totally not coordinated wiht the new (very beautlful) graphic.
alessandrobusto

Re: orrible checkbox...

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and candid feedback. You're not the first to say it. My question to you- What else do you have in mind? Every time I have ever changed the checkbox I have had negative feedback about it, so I am at the point where I am going to need someone to show me a beautiful looking checkbox- obviously I don't know how to design one myself, or my taste in checkboxes is way off! Or, there is no one checkbox design that people universally like!
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Dave,

I think it's more of what a person gets used to seeing. When I first saw the "new" checkbox I thought it looked odd, but I didn't think much about it & now is looking more "normal" all the time. I assumed you enlarged it from the previous model to make it a better finger target.

I guess you could make up a whole bunch of screen shots of various configurations of checkboxes, show them in a sticky on the forum, and the one chosen to be used would be the one that gets the least amount of negative feedback. Good luck! :lol:
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Dlevymd1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 am

I interact with quite a few people that have been long time HanDBase users and we are all, in general, very pleased with the new look and feel of HanDBase. Some of my colleagues do feel that the check boxes are too large and that they now see less text is the list view. Personally, I haven't experienced this. I have an idea. What if changing the font size in settings, also changed the size of the check boxes? This way those who want everything smaller can make the adjustment to their list view.

Just a thought.

Dan
Dlevymd1

Postby alessandrobusto » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:52 pm

You colud use the simple graphic of the "insert new record" button... It would be more simple and clean...

...and sorry for my english... I write from Italy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
alessandrobusto

Postby dhaupert » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Bob and Dan,

Thanks for your input on this. The checkbox size was first being discussed in another thread on this page and I mentioned there that the checkbox image size has actually not changed in this UI revamp! I know it's hard to imagine that the image size didn't change but here's the deal:

- The Checkbox image was 33 x 33 in the prior version and it's still the same 33x33 size now.

- The old version showed a small checkbox with a big check (if checked of course).

- When not checked the box image appeared smaller but there was basically just whitespace around it.

- The reason I made the change was two fold:
- People complained about the previous checkbox design and I wanted to try to improve it.
- One of the problems with the old design was that since the image was off center- it was actually centered but only when the box was checked. On apps that are statically designed, you can always account for this, but on a user designed forms and list views, this just looked bad. That's why I made the check inside the box.
- Since the checkbox is a square I figured I might as well maximize the space being used- no matter what the image is going to be 33 in height so why not expand the size, was my thought!

A lot of users think it's using up more space, and this is not the case. However, users are not completely wrong in noticing that there is less space on the screen now- the new version does put a margin between each cell so the fields can never touch. It's this margin along with the increased left margin that is causing the reduction in usable space on screen.

I know there are some users who could care less about aesthetics and whitespace in this case- they want to fit as much data on the screen as possible and my explanation of why a margin was needed would fall on deaf ears! I was thinking about making an option to turn off the margin in the preferences and power users could turn this off if they so desired, while it would be on by default so beginner users would have nicely formatted list views without really trying too hard.

But my changes were not going to be with the checkbox size since that is of no consequence. Of course if users don't like the checkbox graphic than that's worth investigating.

I just wanted to explain the above so we were all on the same page.

Regarding making the checkbox size adjustable, I like your idea Dan. I just don't think it will result in any more onscreen space. Going to make up some mockups with smaller checkboxes that have more whitespace. I'll post them here and see what you guys think!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch