Dialling international tel. nrs.

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Dialling international tel. nrs.

Postby BP-E-NL » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 am

I build a CRM with Handbase connected by ODBC to http://alexion.nl CRM desktop Application.
That al worked fine.
Al my Phone numbers where saved in without the international code + or 00, recently I start changing that since my desktop dialler can handle + codes.

Now I encountered following "Problem"

When dialling a number like 00 31 65555 it works all fine, but if it put in + 31 65555, it will not Dial.
Field is a TEXT field.
I was always under the impression that using the + instead off 00 was the more international way of notation a international Phone number.

Before I start changing all my numbers, did I do something wrong, is it a bug (sorry) , ore is 00 the more worldwide way off noting a Phone number?

Thank for the good work ( and looking forward to the Forms on my Android Phone :-) )

Much regards,
BP-E-NL

Re: Dialling international tel. nrs.

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:18 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You're correct about the + being a more suitable prefix for reference. It basically means- substitute whatever dialing code you need for an international call. Thus if you're in much of Europe 00 would do it, but in the US it's 011. These codes are called exit codes and vary from country to country so there is no way to specify a numeric value that will work where ever you are. That said, HanDBase does not keep a list of all of these to process. It's pretty cumbersome as the list is rather large (eg, see: http://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html to see just how complex this list can be!).

So it's really up to the database to either have the full dial code in it, or to use a global setting for the prefix. For example:

Have a table that has the Dial Prefix and a single entry.
Use a relationship to get the dial prefix in it.
Use the external field Combine Text to combine this with the phone number you have stored
Use the external field Dial Number to dial the combined text above.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch