Added Forms Designer causing crashes

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Added Forms Designer causing crashes

Postby ghostqix » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I originally created my databases in the PalmOS version of hanDBase and had forms created for these databases. When I migrated to the iPhone, I loaded all the .pdb files, including the forms, even though they weren't being used (that version didn't have the forms designer yet).

Today I decided that I wanted to use the forms designer and leverage my old forms. I purchased the forms designer and now hanDBase crashes each time I start it. The app still shows up in the list of running apps, but when I select it, the home screen flashes for a second and then I'm dumped out to the iOS home screen. I have killed and restarted hanDBase several times and have restarted the iPhone too.

My suspicion is that the current forms designer can't read my old form .pdb files. Of course, now I can't run the connection to the desktop version to manage the loaded .pdb files to remove the old form files.

Any ideas? Is my only option to remove hanDBase and all of its files and reload them (without the forms, which I would have to recreate)?

Best regards,

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ghostqix

Re: Added Forms Designer causing crashes

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:40 am

Hello Paul,

Thanks for writing. Sorry to read of the trouble you have encountered. I'd like you to try the following:

1. Use iTunes' file sharing feature to manually back up all of HanDBase's databases, forms and images to your computer.
2. Uninstall HanDBase from the iPhone.
3. Restart the iPhone.
4. From the App Store, reinstall HanDBase. Verify it works properly.
5. Restore your forms purchases (Database Properties -> Forms -> Restore Purchase)

At this point, test to make sure you can exit and open HanDBase and the forms designer.

Finally, reinstall a few of your databases and forms. Check to see if the problem recurs or if everything works properly this time.

Please let us know if you do encounter issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ghostqix » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Greetings Brian,

I followed your suggested procedure and I'm stuck on step 4. I've reinstalled HanDBase and it does not start. The behavior is the same as when we started: the app flashes to the foreground for a moment and then disappears. I've repeated the process of deleting the app, restarting the phone, and reinstalling HanDBase, but the behavior is the same.

One step forward, two steps back. ;-)

I do have the databases exported from iTunes (version 11.1.3) via the File Sharing list and they are available on my iMac running OS X Mavericks version 10.9 (13A603). The databases are working with the latest HanDBase desktop app (version 4.51) but I can't see or use the forms with this app to verify that they're OK.

The iPhone in question is a 5s running iOS 7.0.4. There is plenty of space available on the phone (11+ GB).

What can I try now? I've got a technical background and would be comfortable installing/using extra tooling to troubleshoot the problem.

Best regards,

Paul
ghostqix

Postby dhaupert » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi Paul,

I wish I can say this hasn't happened before but it has about 3-5 times with other users. The problem with debugging it is that the debug version can't use the In App Purchase for real- it has a demo store and that one always works! I think if you can gather up the crash logs maybe we can glean some clues from it. In the past we have not been able to get those. Brian can reply with some steps to get the crash logs- I know he has them to copy and paste into a reply..
dhaupert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for following up.

Files are located here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_NAME>

The AppData folder is hidden by default, so keep in mind you will need to enable the option in Explorer to show hidden directories.

Find all of the crash logs for HanDBase and send them to me at support @ ddhsoftware . com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ghostqix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Greetings Brian,

Email with archive of crash logs has been sent.

Best regards,

Paul
ghostqix

Postby woznamor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:27 am

I am having the same problems as Paul. The new HanDbase app I installed on my iPhone 4 worked flawlessly. I then install the HanDBase Forms add-on and that was the last time I saw HanDBase work properly. I have tried deleting HanDBase, rebooting my iPhone, and reinstalling from the Apple App Store with the same results. Please help me fix this problem as I have already paid for these products and am looking forward to using them.
woznamor

Postby ghostqix » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:58 am

Is there any update to this issue? I'm still dead in the water. --Paul
ghostqix

Postby dhaupert » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:30 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your followup and patience. I was able to find some clues from Paul's crash log and found some posts online about an Apple bug in the in-app verification code. I have a workaround in place and can submit this to Apple for the next release. If either of you want to get something working ASAP, please email me and I can set you up with a beta build.

Very sorry about this- apparently Apple is calling the purchase confirmation with a blank product and the code sample they provided didn't check for the blank product info!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch