Getting existing Desktop files to sync to IPod Touch

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Getting existing Desktop files to sync to IPod Touch

Postby b2b » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:53 am

Okay, I purchased the IPod HanDBase version for my new iPod Touch. Also got the Windows Desktop for iPhone and set it up for Syncing to my Touch. Everything is working fine. It synched and copied the files on my iPod touch to my desktop.

Now, Since I've been using HanDBase for years since it first came out for Palm, I've got a good assortment of data files I'm trying to move over to my IPod Touch. But I can't figure out how to get them to sync so as to move them out to my iPod Touch. For example, I copied a file called VEHICLES.PDB and its associated form VEHICLES_HDF.PDB into my C:\Handbase\iPodTouch\ directory where the first synch setup put all my synched *.PDB files. I assumed it would (hopefully) sync and be installed on my Touch. But, that didn't happen. I even went in and made a couple minor changes to the file and the form to make sure it's date was updated and it would be the newer date forcing it to sync properly. But everytime it synch's it just overwrites the file/s on my desktop with what's on the Touch. In the iPhone Sync Settings window in HanDBase I even changed the settings by clicking on the Desktop overwrites iPhone, but it still doesn't work.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Please help?

Bob
b2b

Re: Getting existing Desktop files to sync to IPod Touch

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for writing.

Files placed directly in this folder won't automatically install upon syncing. Instead, you will need to open the database in HanDBase Desktop. Once opened, select the File / Install.. menu option. Choose the partnership for your iPod Touch and then close both the install dialog and database.

Repeat this for each database and then sync.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby b2b » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the info... it's been awhile since I've worked with the sync..ing. I used to do this all the time with the Palm Handheld and Windows Desktop.

I do have another question though. Your explanation discusses the Desktop Sync to overwrite the handheld, but what about the other way? i.e., if I make a change on the handheld, will it automatically overwrite the desktop because it has a newer date? I know that's how my old Palm to Desktop worked. It based itself on whichever was the newest change, I assume by date.

Thanks in advance...

Bob

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
b2b

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 am

When the conduit is set to synchronize, the newest record will always overwrite the oldest record. This is true whether or not the newest record is on the desktop or on the handheld.

Please do note that the sync will function at the record level versus at the field level. This means the entire record will sync, not just individual fields within it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch