Autosync?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Autosync?

Postby mwm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:56 pm

I posted a RADAR on the Apple developer site shortly after they opened the App store, and have encouraged other developers to do so as well. They won't fix it if people don't report it as a problem.

Barring that, I've got most of the bits of a cross-application backup/sync tool working. Actually, backup is already working; sync is a different issue. And there's no GUI yet, because I hate writing GUIs. But real work is on hold until after WWDC.

It's still clumsy, but at least it puts everything in one place: you configure it by telling it which application of the ones it understands that you have, and where your backup directory is. When you run it, it prompts you to start each application and how it shares, you tell it Ok, Skip or Stop, and it backs up that application (or not), etc.

I expect to be able to sync some subset, but it'll never be up to the level that someone who writes both ends can do. For HanDBase, it'll backup everything (and give you a much better restore tool than I've seen in HanDBase). But sync will only work for data records, not database structure. It will sync with more things, though.
mwm

Re: Autosync?

Postby Graham » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:14 am

The only program I use that syncs with my PC that has worked 100% of the time and is fully automatic is Evernote. I know this is web based but it ticks all the right boxes for automatic synchronisation.
Graham

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch