iPhone CSV upload crashes

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

iPhone CSV upload crashes

Postby tjfoth » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 am

Pretty simple:
1. Go into iPhone app.
2. Press the server button.
3. Browse (using either Firefox or Safari) to the address reported by HandBase
4. Using the browser, select the csv file (which was produced by Excel) to be uploaded
5. Press the Add CSV Data

HandBase on iPhone apparently crashes (iPhone goes back to application selection screen) and the browser reports it can't connect to the server.

The file in question is only 36kb and there are many GB free on the iPhone.

All-in-all, not the best first experience with this application.

Is ANYONE else experiencing this problem?

HandBase in question: 4.2.1.
iPhone OS 3.0.1
iPhone 3GS 32GB
Firefox 3.5.2
Safari 4.0.2

This application is useless to me if I can upload a simple CSV file.

BTW: Tap Forms had no problems uploading the exact same file.

I'm holding off a really bad review to see how the support works on this.
tjfoth

Re: iPhone CSV upload crashes

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your email and for giving us a chance to rectify your problem before posting a negative review. We have a list of current issues with our program and keep it very much up to date, and as you can see the list is small, so this is something we take very seriously.

The only reports we ever had of a CSV upload failing were when the CSV file was over 4MB in size. That was in earlier versions and we addressed that by doing some memory optimizations and now support well above 8MB as the limit on an older generation device (much higher on a 3GS since it has more internal memory for programs).

Is it possible you could send me the CSV file in question? I would love to see if it fails for me. Also, just making sure you are specifying a database name in the Upload CSV data section? That's definitely necessary, and perhaps the problem came from leaving it blank. If so, that's still a probable bug we'll need to address, but at least there is an easy workaround!

Please let me know about the above and thanks again for giving us a chance to help you with your issue.
dhaupert

Postby me123 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:07 am

I've just had exactly the same problem.

I'm using Mac OSX, and an iphone 3G.

Just bought the program and thought I'd try converting a Numbers file into .csv and send it to the iphone.
Created a synch between iphone and mac using the web based form on safari (also tried firefox)- it saw which files were on the iphone already.
Tried to upload the .csv, hit the 'add csv' button, and the app crashed and safari (and same in firefox) said it could not connect to 192.168... etc.
Tried to save as Latin Windows .csv, failed again and the app crashed.

I figured it might be the .csv file, so I downloaded one of the already installed handbase files from the iphone to the mac, added about one line of text in numbers, saved as a .csv, and attempted to upload- app crashes again.

Finally, tried again, this time downloaded the 'time billing' handbase file from the iphone, changed it's name to 'time test' (keping it as a .pdb), again tried to upload, and this time instead of crashing, it claimed it had uploaded a few files (none of them the same name as 'time test'), but my newly named database wasn't visible on the iphone.

I'm afraid that I have to agree that it is useless to me too unless this is fixed.
me123

Postby me123 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Addition to my previous post-
I did get it to work by separately typing in the csv file name in the field as well as selecting it by browsing.

This is non-intuituve and really needs to be fixed. I imagine most people won't be patient enough to spend ages trying to get it to work like I did, and will instead just delete the app and ask for a refund, giving it a bad review. It's the first thing you do when you download the app- try to upload files, and I bet most people just delete because it doesn't work.
me123

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:40 am

me123 wrote:Addition to my previous post-
I did get it to work by separately typing in the csv file name in the field as well as selecting it by browsing.

This is non-intuituve and really needs to be fixed. I imagine most people won't be patient enough to spend ages trying to get it to work like I did, and will instead just delete the app and ask for a refund, giving it a bad review. It's the first thing you do when you download the app- try to upload files, and I bet most people just delete because it doesn't work.

First off, thanks for the detail you provide. I must tell you that this is not a universal problem. There are many thousands of users (most on Mac) who are using this without any issue, myself included. I'm hopeful a quick scan of this thread will show that this is an active forum and that we are very active in providing fixes for any bugs. In fact, most bugs reported are fixed within days of being reported!

I am hoping you can provide me some more information, specifically:

What are you entering for the database name
What version of Safari are you running?
Could you possibly email me a CSV file you're trying to import? My email address is listed in my sig.

Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby me123 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi,

It's safari 4.0.3, but I have the same problem on firefox 3.5.2
I'm running Snow Leopard.

The message I get is:
Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.1.6:8080/applet_add.html” because Safari can’t connect to the server “192.168.1.6”.

I will email you the file, but it happens with any file- I just tried again with one of the files "Customer List" already installed when I got the app- exported it, and tried to re-import with a different name and it does the same thing.
me123

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for the follow up. It's most likely Snow Leopard. I am guessing the firewall is doing some blocking on local traffic. It will take me a few days to be able to set up Snow Leopard as I'm waiting for my free upgrade to arrive. But this is something that has worked fine for 8 months now and just suddenly seems to have 'broken' this weekend.

In the short term, perhaps you can try any of the myriad of other programs using wifi to connect the desktop to the iPhone and see if they are having the issue as well?
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:20 pm

As a follow up to this thread- in speaking privately through email it was discovered that the database name field was being left blank. That is a 'required field' in this case, and I need to fix a bug there to detect that and handle it gracefully.

But the blank box is for the database name and the browse button is for selecting the import CSV file.

Hope this clears up any confusion!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch