How to make Pop-Ups even better

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

How to make Pop-Ups even better

Postby efanous » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:28 pm

It would be fantastic if you could key the first letter to go to a certain range in the pop-up field. For example: press "e" to go to all of the "e" words in the 60 pop-up list. This would greatly increase efficiency.

Also, It would be great if you could increase the pop-up max to 100 or more.

Also, can you copy one pop-up list to another field?

Elias Fanous M.D.
efanous

Re: How to make Pop-Ups even better

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 am

efanous wrote:It would be fantastic if you could key the first letter to go to a certain range in the pop-up field. For example: press "e" to go to all of the "e" words in the 60 pop-up list. This would greatly increase efficiency.

Also, It would be great if you could increase the pop-up max to 100 or more.

Also, can you copy one pop-up list to another field?

Elias Fanous M.D.

Thanks for your great suggestions. Have you tried the DB Popup field type instead of a regular popup field? It has both a bigger limit (65000 max entries!) and can be used with the quick search field setting to give you the adjust as you type option. It also can be shared amongst several fields in many databases, so you don't need to create copies.

It loses a few things though, such as the ability to tie to a larger note field, and the ability to do hierarchies within your popup. But for most people using large lists it is the ideal choice!
dhaupert

Postby efanous » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:41 pm

That sounds great. However, I am stuck. I am a physician and have been using a core database that I add to each week. The core database is almost 15 years old and is apparently fixed as a text type field. I tried changing it to a dbpop up field type but this would erase all of my entries.
I am trying to keep one database so that when I look for a patient's data, I do not have to open more than one database. Any suggestions?

Elias
efanous

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:35 am

efanous wrote:That sounds great. However, I am stuck. I am a physician and have been using a core database that I add to each week. The core database is almost 15 years old and is apparently fixed as a text type field. I tried changing it to a dbpop up field type but this would erase all of my entries.
I am trying to keep one database so that when I look for a patient's data, I do not have to open more than one database. Any suggestions?

Elias

Hi Elias,

You should have no problems converting from a text field to a DB Popup field. There are indeed certain field types that won't convert (eg, you can't convert a date to a checkbox field, since we'd have no idea how to translate those!), but Text and DB Popup are stored in the same exact manner and even have the same number of maximum characters supported. I just tried and verified that on my iPhone- I could change back and forth between a text field and I did not lose any data.

Please double check and let me know if you are truly wanting to go from a Text field type to a DB Popup field. Perhaps it's some other field type right now than Text?
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch