DB Popup question

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

DB Popup question

Postby fritzmom » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:57 am

Hi All

I have 2 different DBs: one is my Grocery List and one is my inventory of what's in the pantry/freezer.

Question: Item name - I know I can use DB Popup to link from Grocery List to Inventory, BUT, can I also use the DB Popup to link from Inventory to Grocery List, using the same fields? Or would that confuse the databases.

Sorry if this is detailed somewhere, but when I did a search I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any help
Barb
fritzmom

Re: DB Popup question

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi Barb,

Thanks for posting.

The DB Popup field type is actually suitable for pulling field values from one database to another, but does not create links or relationships. If you want the lookup functionality that DB Popup fields provide, then the answer is yes - you can have DB Popup fields in the grocery database that pull values from the inventory database and vice versa.

If you want to relate records in one of the database with records in the other database, I recommend you consider using the relationship field type. You can use this field type to create a parent/child structure where the value of a field in the parent (grocery) database is related to a field in the child (inventory) database.

You can use relationships that go from the grocery database to the inventory database and vice versa.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch