iOS 8 and the new iPhones

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: iOS 8 and the new iPhones

Postby gbass4 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:54 am

Hi,

Firstly, I plan to upgrade to an iPhone 6, not a 6 Plus. However, I mainly use Handbase on my iPad Mini generation 1. I have just upgraded this to IOS 8, and there are a few issues in how Handbase now works. Are you planning an update for IOS8 sometime soon?

My specific problem is when using forms to enter and edit records. While the form displays, the problem comes when trying to type data into a field. Previously, the keyboard popped up, but the form was still displayed above this on the screen. Now, the keyboard comes up but the rest of the screen goes black, and only the word selected appears in a box directly above the keyboard. OK if you're just changing one word (e.g. a date) but useless for editing a paragraph of text.

If you plan to release an IOS 8 update, then hopefully this will go away. If not, I will have to raise this as a fault, because it makes Handbase unworkable for me.
gbass4

Postby uboche » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:48 pm

susearnaut wrote:I've just updated to iOS 8 and since then my hand base for iPad and for iPhone don't work . I can't wright new information. Does anyone know what do I have do do to fix it???
Thanks in advance
Suse

See the thread "HanDBase and iOS 8" in the HanDBase for iPad forum. Your error is reported there and Dave has confirmed that he has sent an update that (also) fixes this problem to Apple.
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby Dlevymd1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:34 pm

Try typing in portrait, it doesn't currently work in landscape. Apparently that will be fixed I the Next update.
Dlevymd1

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:30 am

Hi all,

Thanks for posting.

The upcoming update will resolve the data entry issues you are experiencing. As noted this update has been submitted to Apple for approval. As you likely know, though, once Apple has the update we do not have any control over the length of the review.

Once the update has been approved we will be sure to post the news here.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Dlevymd1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Type in portrait only until the issue is fixed in an upgrade.
Dlevymd1

Postby exmpro » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:46 am

I have updated to iOS 8.2 on my iPhone and my iPad. Handbase continues to work well on both devices,with no problems.
I will be buying an iPhone 6plus when it becomes available, mainly for the bigger screen, with hopefully more data displayed in HB, plus of course a larger font
size.
What I really want from HB is the ability to automatically sychronise my HB files between all devices, just as Dropbox does - in the background.
exmpro

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I hear you regarding the Dropbox- like syncing. Earlier this year I started on some cloud syncing and doing some prototyping. I have wanted to offer something like this for many many years but really want to get it right for all of the usage scenarios out there. My plan this year was actually to use DropBox's apis for syncing the data, but had to table the development due to some other work I had to take on. Over the summer I continued to dabble with it and research it, and have kind of changed plans and am starting from scratch. As much as I was trying to make use of a free service like DropBox, the truth is for syncing to really work elegantly, efficiently, and smoothly the server side needs to do some of the lifting and that means developing a service that handles this. Much more complex but I think in the long run it will deliver a much more powerful solution!

Here's hoping that 2015 is the year that this concept finally comes to life for HanDBase!!
dhaupert

Postby Alanwestwood » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for raising this point exmpro, and thanks Dave for the encouraging reply.

Just want to add my +1 for this feature :-)

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby olimag » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 am

I'm finding an issue emailing PDF forms. After sending, the email creator stays on screen and won't close. It does send but I can't do anything to return to HB. I end up having to close and restart the app. I use email pdf forms a lot so is causing some problems.
This seems to only be on iPad, not iphone. Both have latest iOS 8
olimag

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi everyone!

Hopefully by now you've seen that the iOS8 updates for HanDBase were approved and are now available in the app store. If you haven't had an auto update happen, you should see it soon or manually update. Let me know if you see any issues with this update!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch