Scenario for loading on to Itouch

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Scenario for loading on to Itouch

Postby SusieN56 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Long time user of Handbase on my Palm - now a TX. I tried the Blackberry Storm Version a couple of months ago and truly detested it.

I guess I finally will have to break down and put it on my iTouch as I have two databases I would like to have at all times and the itouch is usually in my car.

I have a PC and a Mac laptop. All of my Handbase items are on the PC, but once I got the MAC, I have synched the itouch only with it - mostly itunes.

I know I have to buy the application through ITunes, and most likely synch with the MAC to get it on the iTouch.

Is there a scenario that would allow me to have the same Databases on both the Palm and the Itouch and keep them in synch with changes made on either device. If so how should I proceed.
SusieN56

Re: Scenario for loading on to Itouch

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I think you'll find the iPhone version to be much closer to the Palm experience- it's far more full featured and much faster as well!

In regards to sharing a database between Palm and the iPod touch- yes, you can do this. Here's how it would work:

For the Palm, you'd need HanDBase Professional which includes Sync Exchange. That tool lets you point to a folder outside the conduit syncing folder. You can copy a database to somewhere more central, like My Documents and then point to it within Sync Exchange. This means that the Palm will be syncing to this other place instead of the default path.

On the iPod touch, you'll need at minimum the Plus addon. The sync settings screen offers a 'create new shared database' button that lets you point to a shared database and then pick one or more iPhone users to share it. Point to that same database and configure the rest of the settings as necessary.

They will both now be syncing to the same location! Hope this helps.
dhaupert

Postby SusieN56 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 pm

Thought I almost had it!!

I purchased the app for iTunes. Loaded on the iTouch. Did one final synch on the Palm. Set up synch excahnge and made sure it was pointing from the Palm to the correct folder. Made a minor change in a database and re synched to be sure. Downloaded the Demo from DHH of the iTouch Plus software, loaded it, tried to open it and got a note that it had expired!

Darn, so close!
SusieN56

Postby SusieN56 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Also, since I use my mac to update my iTouch, I now get the message when I open iTunes on the PC that there is an issue with having music libraries on two computers. Will the actually "connection" to the itouch be done through iTunes on the PC, or can I active the synchronization in some other way so that all that goes to the iTouch is the HandBase data. Right now, the PC iTUnes library doesn't even recognize that HanDBase is even on the ITouch, since it was added to the iTouch using the ITumes on the mac.
SusieN56

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:01 pm

Susie,

The iTunes sync via cable is limited by Apple to only synchronize the built in applications and backup/install new applications. There is no provision for developers to sync their data through that method, unfortunately.

So the way most developers have implemented backups and/or syncing is over wifi to a computer. This means that your desktop or laptop must be on the same network router as the iPhone/iPod touch is connecting over wifi- or at least using the same subnetwork. 95% of the time this is how things would be set up at an office or a home so it's usually not an issue. If it is, there is another option called Adhoc that lets you connect via wifi direct from the desktop/laptop to the iPhone without any router involved.

This said, the iTunes sync portion needs to know nothing about HanDBase from that standpoint. It's all initiated via both the device while running HanDBase and our conduit on the desktop. With that in mind, you can have copies for both Mac and PC on different setups all syncing to the same data. Unlike Apple's media which uses simple flags to indicate whether installed from handheld or desktop, we use more elaborate stamping of each record such that multiple users and multiple devices can all sync together. So there is no issue there!
dhaupert

Postby SusieN56 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:12 pm

SusieN56 wrote:Thought I almost had it!!

I purchased the app for iTunes. Loaded on the iTouch. Did one final synch on the Palm. Set up synch excahnge and made sure it was pointing from the Palm to the correct folder. Made a minor change in a database and re synched to be sure. Downloaded the Demo from DHH of the iTouch Plus software, loaded it, tried to open it and got a note that it had expired!

Darn, so close!

Thanks David, I think I am very close now, and I can synch wirelessly so that shouldn't be an issue.

Now the only issue is what program I need to try on the iTouch to point it at the folder I have created. As I mentioned above, the Demo of Plus for the iTouch didn't work.

Susanne
SusieN56

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:20 pm

I believe the demo timed out because it or another HanDBase product was used as a demo before. We have a time limit on them. My best recommendation if you're wanting to have the app is to go ahead and purchase the add-on (Plus or Pro) and if you are not satisfied, you still can get a refund within 30 days. Just let us know. This doesn't apply to the iPhone app itself as the App store doesn't really have a refund policy. But for the desktop and anything else we sell on our site, it applies!
dhaupert

Postby SusieN56 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Will do David. The only reason I was trying the demo was in case I couldn't get everything to synch, but now that you explained wireless that should do it.

That being said, I think I am DONE. It is all loaded and synched I will use the DB tomorrow on the iTouch and see what happens.

Thanks
SusieN56

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch