Unique Field

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Unique Field

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 pm

I have a number of databases that use the unique field.
I have noticed that when creating new records HanDBase will duplicate numbers in this field so that I will have multiple records with the same "unique" number.
Is this a known issue?
lagunacreek

Re: Unique Field

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:15 pm

The unique number generator is stored locally, so if you're using the desktop program and the handheld version to create records, the unique counter alone will not be truly unique. It's really only unique if you are only creating records on a single handheld. Otherwise, it's main use is for tie-breakers on sorting and such. That's honestly the only time I ever use the field type!

The LInk field combined with a conditional field gives a far more unique and useful field for creating primary keys type arrangements. There are several posts on this forum that mention this- probably searching for unique will get you there fast!
dhaupert

Re: Unique Field

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:57 pm

I can't find adequate references.
However, I generally use HanDBase as my master, but I will occasionally "backup" the databases to various Access databases. I use the "unique" field in Access to link between a query entry and a form. Since the unique value in HanDBase is essentially trivial I can avoid syncing this field and allow Access to manage its own autonumber field. The only issue here is that the autonumber field appends in sequence so I can get some large numbers if I "backup" often (although you can reset the autonumber field by a few simple gyrations).
I was just curious if I could avoid this step, but it looks easier to continue using the Access autonumber field.
thanks
lagunacreek

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch