Creating Relationship to IPhone without WiFi

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Creating Relationship to IPhone without WiFi

Postby timc79 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:59 am

Is it possible to create a relationship from the desktop to the IPhone without WiFi? I work in an office with a hardwired network. I am converting from Palm to IPhone HandBase.
timc79

Re: Creating Relationship to IPhone without WiFi

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 pm

timc79 wrote:Is it possible to create a relationship from the desktop to the IPhone without WiFi? I work in an office with a hardwired network. I am converting from Palm to IPhone HandBase.

Hi,

Thanks for the post. This is a very common question, and I'm sure many other developers have to answer this question just as often. The iTunes cable based sync is not available to developers to extend and include their own conduits/backup/syncing. So that leaves a few other options:

1. 3G/Edge data connection- this is not directly possible between a computer and the iPhone because each iPhone is not given a true IP address, but instead using NAT (network address translation) to get temporary ones within a smaller cell phone tower. Thus no way to connect to an iPhone from an external source. Similarly, a desktop is often hidden between this type of connection due to their router. Getting direct device to PC connections over this would require using a server as a go between for remapping addresses. Additionally, Apple is much more cautious about allowing apps that send lots of data over a cell data connection. So this one is basically off the possibilities list for most applications, unless they are a server based solution already (eg, GMail).

2. Bluetooh- prior to iPhone OS 3.0, bluetooth was off limits for developers to tap into. It's now allowed and is a possibility for the future, though most desktops and even many laptops don't have the capability of bluetooth on them. So a very limited subset of users can take advantage of this.

3. Wifi- our last possible option for connection. This one seems to be already set up in use in the vast majority of homes and offices. So this is the model we implemented. Most other developers needing desktop connections have done the same.

If your office does not have wifi at all set up, you can still connect to your device over wifi, using something called AdHoc. This is where your desktop or laptop connects right to your iPhone (or vice versa) without any wifi routers. Both devices need wifi- since the iPhone and iPod touch have this built in, it's just your PC that will need to be checked. Most laptops have a wifi network adaptor and you can buy USB dongles for desktops that don't. Some are as cheap as 10.00 on the internet and work fine for this purpose!

The instructions for setting up the connection over AdHoc and such are available in the User Guide:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=330

(First link from the above article- do a search for the desktop connect section for more details).

Let me know if you have any more questions!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch