Databases not synching

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Databases not synching

Postby timc79 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am

I have a database table in Access that I updated the data. I set up the synch settings in HandBase to sych the table via synch settings for that specific table. Upon synching via WiFi no updated information present on the IPhone database table. Am I missing something in the synch setup or process?
timc79

Re: Databases not synching

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi there,

I'd suggest taking a look in the sync log. If there are any issues, you'll generally see something about them in the log! Take a look and if need be, copy and paste the most current sync from the log into your followup here. Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby timc79 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 am

I exported the HandBase database to Excel. Then I imported the excel file into Access keeping "first row as column name". I then added a test record. After setting the synch exchange settings, I synched and got the following log response

Database: CE Hours Sync Mode: Synchronize
09-10-2009 08:16: Synchronizing Database: CE Hours...
09-10-2009 08:16: Getting iPhone Database To Sync with Desktop: CE Hours...
09-10-2009 08:16: Getting iPhone Database To Sync with Desktop: CE Hours...OK
09-10-2009 08:16: Syncing with Desktop Database: CE Hours...
09-10-2009 08:16: Syncing with Desktop Database: CE Hours...OK
09-10-2009 08:16: Processing Sync Exchange entry for database: CE Hours
09-10-2009 08:16: SyncExchange failed to execute properly on this database:
09-10-2009 08:16: Access/HanDBase Merge Failed.
09-10-2009 08:16: Error was ODBC Table Schema does not match HanDBase schema - column name mismatch

Your help is greatly appreciated
timc79

Additional Info

Postby timc79 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:29 am

When I synch, it appears that the synch conduit (or something else) is adding two additional columns of data to my Access database table. One row is titled "rhdrinfo" and the other is titled "rhdrid". I think these two columns are creating the error but I do not know why they are there in the first place. They are not present in the original excel file imported into Access.

Your thoughts please
timc79

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:50 am

Hi again,

Thanks for following up. When we sync to Access, the field types must be compatible, this is a requirement of the ODBC transfer we do. Doing a CSV conversion into Access gives you a whole slew of text field types in Access, so if you have certain fields in the original HanDBase database like Checkboxes, dates, etc, those won't map to Text fields. So you get those types of error messages.

The package you are using from us includes a tool called data exchange. This is used to convert a HanDBase database into an Access database while choosing the proper field types automatically from what is in HanDBase. You can get to Data Exchange from the start menu or typically you will also see an option in the HanDBase Desktop. Try opening a database in HanDBase Desktop and choosing the file menu. See if you have an option to export the database to Access there and if so, click it and follow the instructions.

The other part of the Pro package is Sync Exchange. This differs from Data Exchange which is a one time data transfer, to being what happens automatically when you sync. There is actually no need to create the database ahead of time in Access for you to be able to use this feature. When you check the option to Sync to Access/ODBC and go to the options, you are able to give a new Access file name and even a new table name to sync with. HanDBase Sync Exchange while syncing will create the Access table and put all the appropriate fields in. And yes, it will add two additional fields that map to the internal record headers within HanDBase. These are not ones you need to concern yourself with- they are needed for proper syncing.

Lastly, there is a feature to map columns within the Sync to Access settings. This is one I heartily recommend to customers. What this does is let you choose which field in HanDBase goes with which field in the Access table you're syncing to. If you don't sync to this, the expectation will be that the fields always match 100%, and that means any changes on either side to the database structure will break the syncing. If you map the columns you're assuring that you have each field lined up and only those fields will sync. So adding a new field will not break the sync, though you will need to additionall map the new fields in here if you'd like data to transfer between those fields!

I hope this makes sense to you- let me know if you have any specific followup questions!
dhaupert

Postby timc79 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 am

Export to Access is not an option. I am using the demo professional version. Upon reinstall I was given the option to install the plugins. However, they were already installed. Is the data synch and data exchange (export to Access) available in the demo versions?
timc79

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:32 am

Our demo versions are always fully functional so yes, the data exchange tool is there.

The reason I said they may or may not be there in the desktop under File, is that you're asked during the installation to set up which 'plugins' you want to show in that screen. So it's really dependent on the choices you made during installation.

You should be able to get to Data Exchange from the start menu. Click Start, All Programs, HanDBase4 and then under Tools should be Data Exchange for MS Access.

Please read through my previous posting though as if you don't already have an Access database you should NOT be using this to set things up- just let the sync create the table for you! Otherwise, you'll have two sets of the same data and wind up with a database of duplicate records after the first sync!
dhaupert

Postby timc79 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:01 pm

I did get it to work although I have duplicate records. I will work through this as it happens with the Palm product too. From what you say, my date, check box, etc do not covert to those fields using data exchange and hence synch exchange?
timc79

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:26 pm

re: duplicate records- again that is based on what I wrote above. You should not be converting to a new table and then setting them up to sync. Since effectively the first sync merges all data and you wind up with duplicates. You can let Sync Exchange create the table for you and there will be no duplicates!

In regards to the date, checkbox, what I said was that if you import a CSV file, there is no field type information there, so everything comes in as a text field. That's why you were getting the original error. When you use Sync Exchange or Data Exchange it creates, for example, the proper field type that goes with a checkbox in Access (a boolean) such that the sync will work.
dhaupert

Postby timc79 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 am

All works well. As you stated, I just let Handbase create the Access table. As with synching errors, I found it to be a result of previous versions of HandBase on my computer. I have been a HandBase for Palm user for many years and I had serveral previous versions all the way back to 3.0. Once these were deleted and databases remapped, it worked well.
timc79

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch