Desperately Need Optimized for 6 and 6 plus

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Postby dynsight » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:26 am

Okay,

I really don't mind paying for ipad, iphone and desktop versions... I do like the simplicity of this app. But I have an iPhone 6 plus (BTW, LOVE IT!), but HanDBase is just awkward on this.

I was hoping enough people could address this (it was somewhat addressed here)
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3770

Is there a schedule for this much needed update? It has been over five months, and the "expanded" view is just not cutting it. It is a waste of real-estate, and I could be more productive with better usage of the screen space...
dynsight

Re: Desperately Need Optimized for 6 and 6 plus

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting. iPhone 6/+ optimization is definitely on the list, and Dave is working on an update. No specific timeframe is available at the moment, though.

If you could post any screenshots with concerns about display that you have (we want to make sure we know your concerns specifically, as others may have identified different concerns) I will make sure Dave gets them for reference!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:17 am

dynsight wrote:Okay,

I really don't mind paying for ipad, iphone and desktop versions... I do like the simplicity of this app. But I have an iPhone 6 plus (BTW, LOVE IT!), but HanDBase is just awkward on this.

Is there a schedule for this much needed update? It has been over five months, and the "expanded" view is just not cutting it. It is a waste of real-estate, and I could be more productive with better usage of the screen space...

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and thoughts. I am really interested in hearing more from you in terms of what you're thinking with regards to the 6+ and HanDBase. I feel quite stupid to ask for specifics but I just don't understand what would be gained by having specific layouts for iPhone 6+ since HanDBase already dynamically builds the screen to fit the device and have adjustable font sizes so you can tweak to find what works best for you. I have worked with size classes for other apps with iPhone 6 and plus screens and understand how to do these on a normal app but not sure exactly what would be gained by doing so in HanDBase.

I'd love your thoughts on specifically what you'd like to see in an optimization of HanDBase for iPhone 6+. Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:30 pm

I have a 6Plus too, and I find that HanDBase is pleasing to the eye with it. I personally don't understand where the 'wasted' real estate is. The columns in the view records screen start out a little wide, but adjusting them takes a couple of seconds each, so I don't see a problem there. There are settings for font size for view and edit record.

Hopefully the original poster will expand on his comments to let you know what he is seeing, and maybe a screen shot or 2 to help show the problem they have.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ArGiEs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm

I have to agree with curtterp. With my basic usage I have found no problems. What might be what is being referred to is if the font size in HanDBase settings is reduced, the fields (in view record mode) do not shrink with it, leaving a lot of apparent "empty" space(?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:04 pm

I really love the look and feel of HanDBase on my iPhone 6 Plus. The big font size is wonderful my 50 year old eyes. The remaining issue for me is the glitch that happens at the end of a long note field where the cursor is occasionally hidden out of view. A couple of hard returns works around the issue, so I can definitely live with it, but it would be great to have that fixed in an update.
Stay warm!
Dan
Dlevymd1

Postby ArGiEs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm

^Ditto!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:06 pm

dhaupert wrote:
dynsight wrote:Okay,

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and thoughts. I am really interested in hearing more from you in terms of what you're thinking with regards to the 6+ and HanDBase. I feel quite stupid to ask for specifics but I just don't understand what would be gained by having specific layouts for iPhone 6+ since HanDBase already dynamically builds the screen to fit the device and have adjustable font sizes so you can tweak to find what works best for you. I have worked with size classes for other apps with iPhone 6 and plus screens and understand how to do these on a normal app but not sure exactly what would be gained by doing so in HanDBase.

I'd love your thoughts on specifically what you'd like to see in an optimization of HanDBase for iPhone 6+. Thanks in advance!

I can't speak for others, but what I would like to see (I have previously mentioned this to Brian) is optimizing the resolution to fit iPhone 6 and 6+ (and iPad). I would like to see more font options (especially in regards to font size) and maybe minimize the top and lower bar when working with forms. This would create more space for information on the screen and still be pleasing for the eye. I know there are many that like the expanded look and I don't think it's that bad on my iPhone 6, but there are times I would like to have more options to change the font size, especially smaller font.
Veritas

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch