Hide blank fields?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Hide blank fields?

Postby deefault » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi, I love your product...I stumbled upon it and its exactly what I've been looking for on the iPhone. Keep up the great work!

Is there a way (or a future plan) to hide blank fields. I created a CRM database that I'd like to add lots of information to but currently its pretty cluttered since there are many fields that don't get used for a majority of records. It looks like that's possible on other platforms using the conditional UI features. Did I miss something on the iPhone or is it not feasible yet? If not, do you have an ETA on when it might be added?
deefault

Re: Hide blank fields?

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:58 pm

deefault wrote:Hi, I love your product...I stumbled upon it and its exactly what I've been looking for on the iPhone. Keep up the great work!

Is there a way (or a future plan) to hide blank fields. I created a CRM database that I'd like to add lots of information to but currently its pretty cluttered since there are many fields that don't get used for a majority of records. It looks like that's possible on other platforms using the conditional UI features. Did I miss something on the iPhone or is it not feasible yet? If not, do you have an ETA on when it might be added?

Thanks for the kind words! The conditional hide UI in the forms feature does let you hide fields and elements not needed based on things like an empty field. But since you design forms using static placements, that just means you'll have blank space there in it's place. The regular edit record screen on all platforms is built to optimize for the space (ie, not leaving much blank space). On this screen, leaving the
blank fields there is a must so that you can actually select them to edit. But what you mention is a _wonderful_ idea for the View record screen. It should be done by default to make the view more optimized and user friendly!

I'm adding it to the todo list.
dhaupert

Re: Hide blank fields?

Postby deefault » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks Dave it sounds like you understood what I was getting at. I agree that the edit record screen should show all fields so I can add information, but if the field is blank then it can be hidden when just browsing records in the normal view mode. This would be a great improvement! Thanks!
deefault

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch