Reverse Viewing: Linked-->Link

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Reverse Viewing: Linked-->Link

Postby deefault » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I created a database for contacts and another for companies. When I create a new contact I click the company link that takes me to the companies DB where I can associate a contact with 1 or more companies. This works well when I want to see what companies a particular contact is associated with. How can I do the reverse? I'd like to select a company record from the Company DB and see which contacts are linked to it? Is this possible? If not do you plan to add this in the future? This seems like a pretty fundamental reason for creating relational databases...Thanks!
deefault

Re: Reverse Viewing: Linked-->Link

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 pm

deefault wrote:I created a database for contacts and another for companies. When I create a new contact I click the company link that takes me to the companies DB where I can associate a contact with 1 or more companies. This works well when I want to see what companies a particular contact is associated with. How can I do the reverse? I'd like to select a company record from the Company DB and see which contacts are linked to it? Is this possible? If not do you plan to add this in the future? This seems like a pretty fundamental reason for creating relational databases...Thanks!

Hi there,

Wasn't sure which field was the link and which was the linked in your example, but I'm inferring that there is one contact entry but potentially numerous companies under that person? If so, then yes, tapping the linked field in the companies database will open the Contacts database and highlight the entry that it is assigned to. A link->linked pair is a one to many relationship so there can only be one match when clicking a linked field. For that reason we just show it in context. You can tap another record to reassign that relationship or you can select no and it will be opened up for viewing/editing.

If you're hoping to have a potential many-to-many relationship, the relationship fields were made for this purpose!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch