Data and databases disappearing

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Data and databases disappearing

Postby maddoxa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:49 pm

last night data started disappearing from my databases - fields went blank, then records went, then entire databases went blank.
an attempt to backup the databases failed, DBCONNECT just said Done and wouldn't attempt to connect.
the files are NOT corrupted, I was able to copy them with itunes and read them on my PC.

I deleted the app, reloaded it from the app store and restored all the databases. they look fine but I'm seriously upset at the time and effort it took to recover.

nothing else on the iphone has gone rogue, just this app.
any idea what's up?
maddoxa

Re: Data and databases disappearing

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks for posting.

We appreciate you reporting this issue.

Please provide a little more information by answering the questions below, to aid in our investigation:

1. What model of iPhone or iPod Touch are you using?
2. What version of iOS are you using on iPhone / iPod Touch?
3. What version of HanDBase are you using?
4. What activities were you doing within HanDBase when the loss began to occur?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby maddoxa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:16 pm

I have the iphone 6S+, running 9.3.1, and Handibase 4.9.063

my primary use is a food/exercise tracker. I have 3.5 years of data (1 database per year), plus a recipe database and a carb/calorie database.

I had put in what I ate for lunch, when I went in to put in dinner I searched for the same meal last week. Several of the fields in that record (the old one) were blank.
I closed the record and opened another and different fields in it were blank.
when I closed the database, the name was gone but the ellipsis for 'more' was still there. later that night several of the database names were gone and the ellipses were still there. The next morning was the same so that night I came here to see if anyone else was having this problem.
someone from 2 years ago mentioned being able to copy the files with itunes, so I copied the current backups off to another folder and recovered the ones from the iphone.

I was able to read the copied files from my PC (version 4.7.5), so I deleted the app and dbs from my iphone and reloaded them.
they've behaved for the last two days but it does make me nervous.
maddoxa

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 am

Thanks for following up. We appreciate the additional information, and will use it as we investigate stability.

If you experience further issues, please let us know.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby maddoxa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:34 pm

it started doing it again tonight. the only difference I can see from any other night is that I was working in landscape instead of portrait.
maddoxa

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:48 pm

maddoxa wrote:it started doing it again tonight. the only difference I can see from any other night is that I was working in landscape instead of portrait.

Thanks for the update.

Any chance you could send us a copy of your databases to test with? If so, please send them to support @ ddhsoftware . com

Be sure to include a reference to this forum post if you do send them.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch