HanDBase ver 4.9.070 - crashes on me

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

HanDBase ver 4.9.070 - crashes on me

Postby cabby205 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:46 pm

iPhone 3GS
iOS 6.1.6
HanDBase ver 4.9.070

I tap on the icon to open it. Get the screen to Organize My Life. Then it blinks and I go back to the iPhone home screen menu.

Completely shut down my iPhone by holding the off button for a long time. Rebooted (twice). Still same problem.
cabby205

Re: HanDBase ver 4.9.070 - crashes on me

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:04 am

Hi,

We sincerely apologize that the crash is still occurring for you in 4.9.070. We were able to fix it for devices running iOS 8, but unfortunately we don't have any devices still running iOS 6 to confirm whether the fix works on or not.

Is there any possibility you can update to a later version of iOS? If not, would you be willing to help us test a beta on your phone?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:29 am

Hi,

Very sorry for the difficulties- I was not able to test on iOS6 as there are no simulators available and all of my devices have been upgraded. I think it's probably not compatible any longer- each time I have to update to support some of the newer features, some of the older devices become incompatible- probably Apple trying to get people to keep buying new phones every few years.

Unfortunately without a way to test, my only fix will be blocking iOS6 from running HanDBase. That unfortunately won't help you unless you upgrade your phone. The other alternative involves locating the old IPA file from HanDBase on your computer and restoring that. Here are some steps to check for this:
http://www.hightechdad.com/2015/03/26/h ... n-ios-app/
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby DorothyD » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Some hints for keeping old IPA files, so you can revert back. I use a Mac, but I'd expect that iTunes for Windows is similar.

1. Be sure that copies of your apps are saved to your computer. If you've downloaded apps directly to the phone, use iTunes > File > Devices > Transfer Purchases... to copy them into your iTunes Library.
2. It's best to download app updates to your computer using iTunes, and then sync them to the device. When you do this, the new version is saved to the computer, and the older version's IPA file is placed in the Trash. If you update "over the air", the old version is not retrievable.
3. Current apps are stored in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Mobile Applications. I have created a folder named "Mobile App backups" inside the iTunes Media folder. Whenever I update apps, I drag the old IPA files from the Trash into my Mobile App backups folder, and keep them for a month or two, until I'm sure the new app works. There have been several times I needed to downgrade an app.
DorothyD

Postby cabby205 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:11 pm

DorothyD: Tks for the advice. It was exactly as you said. I was able to recover HanDBase 4.9.063.ipa, which works on iOS 6.

Brian_Houghton:"... would you be willing to help us test a beta on your phone?" yes, I would.
Probably, you will have to lockout new users with iOS 6 but recommend that you lockout old users from new updates, if possible.
In case anyone else cannot recover old version, I have made my copy available. If you have any problems, leave message in this thread.
If anyone has other old .ipa versions, you can put a copy in my OneDrive folder.

OneDrive:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsvGsLgj1UdhgYxEMCP1eHCTxCaArw
cabby205

Postby DorothyD » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm so glad to hear that you could restore the old version! The instructions from High Tech Dad (and others on Apple Discussions) are really useful. Now you need to put another copy of that IPA somewhere safe, outside the Mobile Applications folder.

I'm not sure whether one user's IPA file can be installed by another user; I don't know enough about how apps are registered, and whether the IPA itself contains the purchaser's AppleID somewhere. Perhaps, if the second user already has the app in his iTunes > Account > Purchased list, it would work.
DorothyD

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:15 am

cabby205 wrote:DorothyD: Tks for the advice. It was exactly as you said. I was able to recover HanDBase 4.9.063.ipa, which works on iOS 6.

Glad you were able to get it back!

Probably, you will have to lockout new users with iOS 6 but recommend that you lockout old users from new updates, if possible.

Yes, I can lock iOS6 out from updates for the next version now that I know it's not compatible!

In case anyone else cannot recover old version, I have made my copy available. If you have any problems, leave message in this thread.
If anyone has other old .ipa versions, you can put a copy in my OneDrive folder.

OneDrive:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsvGsLgj1UdhgYxEMCP1eHCTxCaArw

[/quote]

IPA files are signed to your iTunes account and won't run on anyone else's devices. If they didn't, I'd have been able to supply you with an older version! And also, if they did actually work on other user's devices, you'd effectively be offering a pirated version to those who didn't want to pay for it by posting the file up here ;)
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch