In need for an alternative to WiFi

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

In need for an alternative to WiFi

Postby rejeanprevost » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Hello,

I have created a very simple DB to collect multiple choices answers to 60 questions. HanDBase is great for this. Now comes the big problem. Ipod Touch will be used to enter data. Hospital administrators will enter the data. The data will be collected in 16 hospitals. The data collection period will spread over more than 6 months so I would like to backup the collected data periodically. In hospital, no WiFi is available. I do not want to ask administrator to send their iPod back to me every week. Is there a reliable and easy way to get the data without using WiFi? Why can they use their desktop computer to export the data in ASCII format, then send the text file via email from their desktop? Is it possible to export the data from the iPod and then put it on a desktop (via cable)? I think I made a big mistake by suggesting iPods instead of Palms. Who want to buy 16 iPods 32Gb 3G? (Joke).

Regards,

Rejean Prevost
rejeanprevost

Re: In need for an alternative to WiFi

Postby dhaupert » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. The reason wifi used for our syncing is that backing up via the cable is restricted to only iTunes, which backs up everything that is not iTunes related info into a single proprietary file. (There are some third party tools that can parse this data, but the process is not straightforward or worthwhile except in extreme cases).

So the only way for a non-Apple application to connect to a desktop is via a wireless connection. You mentioned that the hospitals don't have wifi in them, but that does not mean a computer in the hospital can't talk via wifi to an iPod touch. Normally wifi consists of a bunch of wireless devices talking to each other via a wireless router that connects them all up. But if there is no router, a laptop for example can still talk directly to an iPod, each using their wifi adaptors to connect to each other. This process is called adhoc networking and is documented in the HanDBase User guide:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/docs/HanDBas ... rGuide.pdf

(Check the Desktop Connect section for more details)

Other solutions that are up and coming won't likely have any effect in your case either. For example, if there is no wifi in the hospital, emailing the databases from the device won't be a practical possibility either.
dhaupert

Re: In need for an alternative to WiFi

Postby grputnam » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Ad hoc should work, you just need to buy a wireless USB adapter for each computer, they are less than $30 each. However the problem I ran into was that my hospital will not work with Apple products. Our firewall stops the entrance of this information even with a peer to peer setup. I think you can use a VPN to solve the problem if your IT people will work with you.

If you use a VPN to do this or if you figure out how to do it please let me know. It might give me some information to get my IT people to work with me. I don’t like excuses.
Gordon
grputnam

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch