Backup restore from Desktop - refresher

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Backup restore from Desktop - refresher

Postby ArGiEs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm

I realized the other day that I had forgotten how to restore a database file from the backup folder that the sync utility creates when device & desktop are synced, as well as how to restore a database using the iTunes file sharing tool. So I went to look for the HanDBase backups folder, and could not find it. I seem to remember I would look in OS (C)>Program Files>HanDBase and then to whatever it was called. Can't find it!

Now, once I find it, how do I restore via HanDBase desktop sync, and iTunes file sharing tool? This shows you how much I've ever had to use it over the past several years, fortunately. The rare occasions I've needed to restore anything the databases mailed to myself and Dropbox backups have been sufficient. I don't like getting lax on this kind of thing, though, and would still like to have all my restore methods at the ready (after all, I've been backing up to the desktop for years, might as well know how to use it). I did try looking through the HB desktop manual & couldn't find that topic.

Where is the HanDBase backup folder now? I have the latest version of IPhone HB, and run Windows 10 on the Desktop (with all updates current).
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: Backup restore from Desktop - refresher

Postby curtterp » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:32 pm

The change to where the backups are

My Documents->HanDBase->(Device Name)->Backups

At least it was there as of a couple of years ago.

The reason for the switch to My Documents was get around having to login with an Admin account.

To Restore a backup database is to open the backup, then in the menu, there is an item that says to Install to Smartphone or Device. I think it is under the File menu, but it might be under another menu. Just remember that the data that has been entered into the database since the date of the backup that you are going to use.

This is all from Memory since I gave up Windows a couple of years ago.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch