Multi-select fields

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Multi-select fields

Postby tutu10 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:08 am

Hello, how do I create multi-select fields? For example, I'm categorizing sheet music, and I'd like to indicate the various key signatures in a given piece, which can have multiple key signatures (C, Cb, D, Db, etc.). I see you can use append in a pop-up, but that won't help me, because if I categorize a piece as having C and Cb, it shows up as "CCb" and any filter or view based on the key of "C" will inadvertently trigger something tagged with only "Cb". I see I can create single checkbox fields, but if I want to create a field that has 20 or 30 checkboxes, the only way to do so appears to be to create a field for each checkbox. HanDBase seems pretty thoroughly thought out, but this seems like a huge omission. I'm probably doing something wrong. Thoughts?
tutu10

Re: Multi-select fields

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post. It is a serious omission and its mainly because I could never solve for the multi-user scenario and syncing for a field of this type. Well, I knew how I could but it would be far too impractical from a storage standpoint. In the meantime, here's what I do in my own databases:

Use the Popup fields and have each entry have a comma at the end (eg, C, Cb, etc).
Set popups append.
Now you can filter on C, and get just the C's.

It's not ideal but it does seem to accomplish the job!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch