iPhone Name Change Affects Sync

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

iPhone Name Change Affects Sync

Postby Max » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:57 am

Others have posted somewhat similar problems, but I haven't found any exactly like mine.

I'd never had a sync problem (since the early Palm Pilot days) until a few days ago, when an important database (my plot logbook, which I needed to print) suddenly stopped updating on my Mac. The sync appeared to go normally, with the list of files transferred scrolling to the end on both the iPhone and the Mac HanDBase Desktop. But the sync-ed updates and the log file simply didn't exist on the Mac. They were fine on the iPhone app, and everything else was working normally. Just no updated databases on the Mac. I managed to print my Pilot Logbook by emailing the file to myself and then importing it into Pages, where it was converted automatically to the table document I've used for the logbook for many years.

But why wouldn't it sync?!

FINALLY I remembered changing my iPhone's name since the previous--and successful--sync. All I did was to add an "X" to the end of the phone's name so I could tell its files from those of my previous iPhone, a 6 Plus. Both phones' names are the default format, "[Firstname Lastname]'s iPhone", so all I did was add a space and the X. Apple keeps track of the phones by number, not name, so it didn't care. But it sure made a difference to HanDBase!

The fix was to add a new "User" to the HanDBase Desktop, and magically it received the files as soon as I sync-ed again.

HOW to add a new User is not obvious:

1. Devices > Sync/Configure iPhone Devices.
2. Click on the "+" sign.
3. Click on Continue.
4. On the phone, touch the circling arrows. (Can do this earlier if you like.)
5. On the Mac, enter the address that the phone is reporting.
6. Click on Continue.

Then you can sync as usual. When you want to see the sync-ed databases, open the HanDBase Desktop on the Mac and select the new user in the "Open HanDBase Database File" dialog, and you're good to go. All's well with the world again.

Is there then a way to select the new User as the default for subsequent startups without deleting the previous User?
Max

Re: iPhone Name Change Affects Sync

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi Max,

Thanks for sharing this. indeed the user name is how we identify a device so if the name changes, the partnership won't be recognized. I guess I could have made that clearer so you didn't have to learn through trial and error! Sorry about that.

As for the users, you should be able to delete the old one once you've moved everything over. Alternatively you could also edit the registry or INI file where this is stored but that's more hacker level stuff since its undocumented!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch