Sync with flash drive

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Sync with flash drive

Postby grputnam » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:19 am

I have given up on syncing directly to my iPod Touch through Wi-Fi. My hospitals fire wall and the stubbornness of my IT department has stopped it. What I am planning on doing is syncing to a flash drive at home then sync to my desktop at work. I can’t even use my laptop at work to make it work. Now I want to sync my flash drive with my desktop. How do I do that? I don’t want to just copy and past because I would like to sync the two.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Re: Sync with flash drive

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 am

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that they've made it impossible for you to sync over wifi. Surely this problem will become bigger as more and more devices are opting for wireless sync only and other doctors and such in the hospital will have the same issue.

What do you mean about syncing to a flash drive? Are you saying you'd like to sync to your PC at home and then copy the files to the flash drive? If so, is your work computer a mac or a PC? I ask because in the PC version (and soon the mac version), there is a Merge database feature. If you're using the PC version, here's what you can do:

Sync to your PC at home.
Copy the file in the HanDBase folder to a flash drive.
On your PC at work open the desktop file you're keeping. Then select File, Merge Database and choose the file on the flash drive. It will then sync the two together record by record and the resulting merged file will be the one open. If you save this file it will save to your PC at work, but you can do File, Save As and save it back to the Flash drive.
Then at home, you can copy this file back to your HanDBase folder and do another sync to get the changes from both home and work desktops back to your iPod touch.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch