Support for + in Dial Number

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Support for + in Dial Number

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 am

Are there any plans to support the + prefix for international dialing?

I am putting together a small DB to track contacts that are used when travelling and it would be nice to use the Extranl link "Dial Number" feature to call the person from the DB. I typically use the + prefix before the country code to make it easier when roaming. For example dialing the UK from Europe is 00 44 and from the US it is 011 44 so I use the + as it is typically recongnised as a standard.

Thanks
Ray

Re: Support for + in Dial Number

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:48 am

Thanks for your post. I am familiar with the use of the + prefix, but not sure if Apple provides a method to get the proper prefix based on your location. I would not easily know (without getting your location and geocoding what country you were in) if you had travelled to a new location. I am assuming from your question that the built in dialer in the iPhone handles this for you? If so, it may be something I can gain access to, and I can check into it!
dhaupert

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:30 am

I cannot be totally sure, and maybe someone with more telcomms knoweldge than me can help, but I think the + symbol is handled by the Exchanges and translates it to mean dial international, so replace + with 00 for Europe and 011 in the US. Within the database I see that using the Dial Number feature for the iPhone will only pass the number portion up to the first non-numeric value.

So I guess the question is, can the dialler be passed the full value including the + sign at the front of the number or is this something restricted by Apple.

Thanks
Ray

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Ray wrote:I cannot be totally sure, and maybe someone with more telcomms knoweldge than me can help, but I think the + symbol is handled by the Exchanges and translates it to mean dial international, so replace + with 00 for Europe and 011 in the US. Within the database I see that using the Dial Number feature for the iPhone will only pass the number portion up to the first non-numeric value.

So I guess the question is, can the dialler be passed the full value including the + sign at the front of the number or is this something restricted by Apple.

Thanks

That's something I can test and get a definitive answer on. If so, that would be a great and easy solution!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch