Using flash drive

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Using flash drive

Postby grputnam » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:14 am

I am still trying to use my iPod Touch to keep my data on but it is not easy. Right now I do a sync with my laptop then transfer my data to the flash drive then bring the flash drive to work and sync it with my desk top. Trying to sync it with the laptop at work has the same firewalls that limit my syncing directly to my desk top computer.

My question is this: Can I just have everything done through my USB flash drive? Could I have HanDBase run totally from the flash drive? Rather than install the program onto my laptop or desktop, install it onto the flash drive?

If not that can I save all the information (data) onto my flash drive so I can just put the flash drive into the USB port and I don’t have to do any syncing between the computers?

What I would like to do is to be able to take my flash drive home put it into my laptop sync with my iPod then bring the flash drive to work and open up HanDBase desktop and the data will be there. I won’t have to sync it with my flash drive.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Re: Using flash drive

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am

Hi there,

I wish your IT would allow for this sort of thing, I'm sorry to see you go through all these workarounds because of an overzealous set of rules at your workplace. That said, I have been researching some new sync ideas using the cloud to store data and hope that some time in 2010 we'll be able to offer you another option for syncing data. More to come on that one!

In regards to this flash drive. You could definitely make use of the idea you had here- it's a good one! I'm assuming you're on Windows PCs, as my fuzzy memory seems to recall that. On your home computer, you'll need to set up the database(s) that you need to access at work as a shared database. To do this, you basically move the database file from the My Documents\HanDBase\Username folder to a spot on your flash drive. Then you go into the iPhone Sync settings and add a shared database. This brings up an option to prompt you for the location of the database. You can then browse to the flash drive and point to it there. From now on, the sync will sync to that location instead of the My Documents location.

On the work computer, set up a custom user in the File Open, Manage Users section. This is where you can create custom users that are not actually syncing partnerships. You get to choose the name for the user and the path that the user files will be. You can then point to the flash drive in these settings. From now on, when you select File|Open, you can select this custom user and open databases directly from this location.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!
dhaupert

Postby grputnam » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks Dave, I will try this. And yes it is PC's.

One comment about getting information over the internet. I have gotten around the firewall with my Outlook calendar by using Goggle calendar. I have no idea how that happens or why it works. My Outlook calendar is transfered to Goggle calendar and then it goes to the internet and it will back-up my iPod calendar when I am on line.

Gordon
grputnam

Postby grputnam » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 am

I believe this is going to work.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch